Show search

Notification

Error

General advice please?

User
Posted 07 Jan 2018 at 12:16
Hi,

I'm 60.

No symptoms but requested GP do PSA a year ago. Due again soon.

They said all OK but no number or reading was mentioned (didn't ask as wasn't aware) but assume this is clearly important even if test is OK?

Is a physical exam advisable in addition to PSA?

GP seems less than pro-active to do physical exam but guess I should insist on this or alternatively, are there Wellman type clinics that would provide?

Thanks guys.

User
Posted 07 Jan 2018 at 14:22

Hi Your doctor should give you another blood test but take list of questions with you to help ease your mind and just see what another PSA result brings up.

You can always come back on here after and ask more questions as we have many members that have gone through the same problems 

Regards John.

User
Posted 07 Jan 2018 at 14:39

Hello Nansen,

I second John in the second blood test, as the first will be your guide.

If there is a change from the previous one, higher that is, then I would ask for a DRE if not from that GP then if you have others at your surgery see if there is one which deals with men's health.

We actually only have two male GPs at our, one of whom is never available, the rest being women and I know my husband would not go and ask one of them to do a DRE

One of those female GPs doesn't even like looking in your ears so I can't imagine what her reaction would be to a DRE request !!

At the very least you should be getting a print out of your readings, both the new test and the previous one, then you have your own paperwork.
This shouldn't be a problem, we ask either the nurse or the receptionist for the printout and it has never been refused yet

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 07 Jan 2018 at 18:05

If you do ask the GP to do a digital examination, make sure you ask AFTER he has taken the blood test. Pressing on the prostate to see if it feels normal can falsely raise the PSA level

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Jan 2018 at 21:13

In addition, before you have a PSA,

Ideally, you should not have: had an orgasm within 48 hours*, suffered a blow to your groin area, ridden bike or a motorcycle.

* Close to is apparently okay, so no need to abstain from all activity, but don't complete the journey.

good luck

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.