Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What a day

User
Posted 09 Jan 2018 at 21:49
H all, just need to vent s bit, sorry

Took dad to see onc today for his first appt. he was diagnosed a year ago with advanced PC (mets in spine,pelvis and I think his rib) on Zoladex for last twelve months under a Urologist. PSA down at first but found out December if had rocketed to 298 from 14 in July. Transferred to onc now. I struggle to understand why he wasn’t with an onc first. He’s been referred for an urgent mri because of tingling in his legs, which he’s had for several months. Concerned about spinal compression. He’s starting Casodex and going back in six weeks to see if chemo or Abu will be done. He’s got to choose.

Had such a stressful and upsetting day. I keep bursting into tears and struggling. My dad cried today in the car on the way home which broke my heart - he’s not a crier) he’s worried about everyone else, he cries when we talk about his granddaughter (my daughter who he dotes on) trying to be chipper and keep his spirits up but there’s a bloody big elephant in the room that won’t go away.

I honestly don’t know how people cope but sonehow we do. Take care all

Xx

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 00:39

Oh Flora, I am so sorry for you that there was a delay in your post being released right on the day when you really needed some friendly words. Fingers crossed the scan came back clear and it is not SCC.

It is extremely frustrating that he wasn’t referred to oncology immediately after diagnosis but he is in the right hands now. Tough choice on the next treatment but if he is strong now then it might be wise to try the chemo - if it works it will make the abiraterone even more efficient when he moves to that option. You (or dad) could call the nurses on here and talk it through with them?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 10:41

Thinking of you both Flora and hope you feel a little stronger today

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 12:34
Hello Flora
I think that you can take some comfort that now your father is in the capable oncology department. You can take some comfort that my husband was transferred from urology to oncology a year or so ago and we feel much more confident in talking to his oncologist and discussing the options for his treatment.
Now that you Father has been transferred I’m sure that things will happen so take heart. These oncologist have more tricks up their sleeves than you imagine.
Good luck
User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 15:17
Thank you all xx saw dad today and he’s been upset but I think it’s dawned on him now what’s happening. I think, whilst he was just on Zoladex with the Urologist things ticked along and you almost forgot he had cancer (if that’s ever possible) now he saw the onc and saw his old scans from last year he’s realised how serious things are. We are still waiting for his mri re, SCC but nurse is chasing it up. The Acute onc nurse was helpful today. His casodex should be ready tomorrow for him to start taking.

Thank you for listening, this group, and all of you are amazing xx