Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Risks of Brachytherapy

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 08:22

Hi,

I was diagnosed in September with localized prostate cancer and have now decided on low dose brachytherapy treatment and have my operation next Friday 19th January.

I am going to tell my office about the treatment shortly but my fellow directors have some concerns about the risks i pose to my staff. I work in an office with 25 people roughly split between men and women. They have taken some legal advice which says that I could pose a risk to any potential pregnant women (there are none at present) and are suggesting that I do not come in to the office for two months. 

I am aware that as a precaution I should keep away from pregnant women (there are no small children or pets in my office) but does anybody have any experience of being dealt with in a similar way. Hopefully I will be able to get a letter from my oncologist which will allay their fears and enable me to return to the office as soon as i feel able. I feel however that this is adding unnecessary stress I have said I cannot be the first person ever to have this treatment and then return to work in an office!!

Any comments or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Neil Bennett

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 09:36

As long as you are not in the habit of hugging pregnant colleagues or having them sit on your knee you should be fine after a month. But a pregnant woman shouldn't sit next to you all day until 2 months after.

Can't you work from home?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 11:58

Lyn,

Thanks for this and yes no hugging or knee sitting in the office!

Regards

Neil Bennett