I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

BPH?

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 11:45

New to this and the forum. On here as have enlarged prostrate confirmed by CT about 3 months ago.

Have nocturia, urine urgency and so on.  Started tamsulosin on for 2 months, slight improve. Have been doing bladder training and floor exercises, found via internet, nothing from GP. PSA reprted as 'ok' Often feel bladder is not emptying.

Tried for refer to urologist or specialst prostrate centre but GP not refer.

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 13:12

Don't accept 'okay' as the result of the PSA test. Go back to the GP practice and ask reception for the actual number. if s/he won't give it to you, make an appointment with the GP or nurse.

If the CT scan didn't show anything except enlargement, then tamsulosin is a sensible next step. If there had been any concern about your scan, the scanning dept would have referred you to a urologist automatically I think. But you should ask for regular PSA tests so that you can monitor the situation.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 13:27

Hi Lyn
Thanks for taking time to reply. Yes I will chase this, it's always a bit of worry. The urine urge and frequency is quite restrictive on getting out, the dull pain/ache in pubic area is one more concern. I had another urine test and await results. Will chase this and PSA when results due friday. Just read your info, do hope all is going well with dad. I am sorry for loss of Stan was he family? Hope not difficult to raise this for you. I am pleased to hear dad is cruising, me too love it!
My sign off snippet....Cannot recall whee read this first:

Don't worry about aging and growing old, it is a privilege denied to many.

Best wishes Doug

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 13:43

Excellent advice as usual from Lyn.

Just out of curiosity, is there a family history of Prostate Cancer?

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 14:22

Hi Johsan,
I don't think any history of this. There was no history of glaucoma either but found out a while ago have advanced in one eye, and early other eye. Bit of shock there.
Will do more history and bio soon
Thanks
Doug

User
Posted 12 Jan 2018 at 11:19

Just an update, October 2017 PSA test, value 0.94, receptionist said its normal. Any guides on ranges I can refer? SHould I ask for 6 month check ups or yearly and maybe DRE?
Urine was fine, not sure next step for this v low abdo ache/pain

User
Posted 12 Jan 2018 at 22:43

Prostates gradually grow in men as they age but in some at a faster rate and to greater size than in others. If Tamsulosin of itself is not sufficient to reduce associated problems, there are other possibilities which can be pursued and I would suggest you seek further advice on this.

Barry