I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Scared and worried

User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 02:06
A few months ago my husband was admitted to hospital with acute renal failure brought on by a severe UTI with copious haematuria. As part of the initial bloods he had a PSA which was very high. Not sure of the numbers but was told that this could be down to the inflammatory process and the severe infection. He recovered and was left with stage 3b chronic renal insufficiency.

As part of his investigations he had a cystoscope and a digital exam after thus. The digital exam showed a small hard area which the urologist said was probably nothing but to be on the safe side and as good practice he would send him for a MRI scan. He had this without contrast about 10 days later and we were told the results would take about 6 weeks and be sent to the urologist.

This was 2 months or so ago, nothing was forthcoming despite our GP and the renal consultant chasing it up till suddenly today we got a phone call out of the blue sending him for a prostate biopsy a week on Wed. This has thrown us both as we are both disabled and my husband has a progressive neurological condition. We still don't even have a follow up appt with the urologist yet.

Obviously we are both terrified although he's much more stoic and pragmatic than I am. I'm not sure why I've even posted, looking for somewhere to come for help and advice I suppose. I'm assuming that the MRI has shown cancer otherwise why send him for a biopsy. I've no one to ask as it was a secretary who phoned and my husband didn't catch her name but did say it wasn't the urologist he initially saw but a colleague.

Update

I’ve edited my post to say MRI rather than the CT scan that I’d originally written. Since writing the post we have been given an appointment it’s the urologist on 5th Feb, 3 days after his appt at the Renal Clinic.

It’s 4 am on the morning of his biopsy. Am I sleepless and worried, moi? Nah. Will update later

Edited by member 22 Jan 2018 at 04:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 08:07

The scan can't show cancer. All it can do is pick up grey areas that need further investigation but it cannot tell the difference between cancer, infection and bruising. So a biopsy is a very sensible thing to do - they will target the biopsy to the area seen on the scan.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 18:02

Naturally this is a great concern for you both. It is unfortunate that you are not aware of the PSA which you say was very high. (PSA can vary from single figures to the thousands). Although there are reasons other than cancer why a PSA can be high, as it increases so do the risks of it being PCa. Sometimes when PSA is indeed extremely high consultant's assume it is PCa and in such cases they sometimes omit bone scans. The biopsy targeting the suspicious areas stands a high chance of showing any cancer. From what you say, I think you should be prepared for a possible positive result. Should this be the case, you will be offered a treatment plan which depending on the diagnosis could involve hubby having to decide on any alternatives treatments offered.

Barry
User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 18:44

I am assuming that although described as very high, it wasn't in the thousands or even the hundreds since the experts of the time were happy to explain it away as due to the inflammation :-/

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 12 Jan 2018 at 01:36

Thanks for taking the time to reply both. I just wish the biopsy was over and done with. I was lucky today. We managed to talk about the what ifs. This is major as at one time D was the most uncommunicative of men when it came to himself. Very deep as they say. Since we both became disabled he's much more open thank goodness.

He's very pragmatic, what will be will be and all that, he knows that after 30 years of marriage I will support him no matter what to the ends of the earth and back.

I think I feel more settled today but maybe that's just exhaustion from the bowel prep for my colonoscopy tomorrow. Won't take up anyone's time but will update as soon as we know about the biopsy.

Thanks again. I'll spend the rest of the time browsing the forum. What an amazing bunch you are