I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Can time of year Affect PSA?

User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 02:43

I am sure this question was asked some years ago but I cannot remember any conclusion.  The question is prompted because every PSA test I have had since my nadir which followed HIFU in July 2015 has showed a rise.  There have been just two exceptions to this, a drop of 0.12 in Feb last and 0.01 in January 2018 so about same time of year.  It could of course be just coincidental but without reading through many bios, has anybody else experienced this or can offer any thoughts?

Barry
User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 08:02

I have commented before on my own thread that John's PSA is higher in August and then drops back to its usual level. In my mind, I have put it down to mucho wino, gorging on French cheese and a lot of cycling up and down big hills since his summer PSA test is always done when we get back from France

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 17:16

Thank you Lyn, In retrospect, I suppose we are more active in the summer months. It's possible this activity level could have a bearing on our PSA. Only wish I was up to really taking advantage of the summer months like John or I would settle for being able to play tennis again. Unfortunately, arthritic knees now restrict me to a modest walking pace and shorter distance. Notwithstanding any possible increase in PSA, I intend to start swimming sessions throughout the year, as I feel a healthy and exercised body should be able to cope better with cancer and many other potential health problems. It can take more effort in wintry conditions though.

Barry
User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 18:00

Funny you should mention knees ..... John got a new one this morning and the other is being replaced in 8 weeks time!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 18:24

I am sure we all wish it works out well for John and he is able to indulge again in his cycling and other pursuits. You will be aware that knee replacements are more tricky and the outcomes less overall positive than for hip replacements. My knees were assessed and it was decided that implants could be deferred for the time being. I was just given physiotherapy and exercise sessions which I found hard going and not repeated to the extent that I should have done at home thereafter. I suppose John will have to adopt some rehabilitation exercise programme.

Barry
User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 18:47

He has been having physio since before he was dx with the PCa but his legs are now so bowed I could run between them so it had to be done. It is down to all those years of scrummaging.

Daughter #2 is coming to stay when he comes out of hospital - she is a physiotherapist and very scary :-)