I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Told operation too risky :(

User
Posted 13 January 2018 11:04:27(UTC)

After being diagnosed on Tuesday T3b possibly N1 5/4  Gleason 9 after PSA 18 & 23 I have just been advised by the surgeon to go for RT/HT instead of robot assisted prostatectomy. I'm disappointed as I had hoped to have the op & be rid completely if possible. He also quoted a 50% chance of a ten year survival which was a bit of a shock. He said if the chance of success was more than 50% he would advice to have it but my chance was less than 50%. I'm back to being worried again!

User
Posted 13 January 2018 14:43:26(UTC)

The other way of looking at it is that you could have had the op, suffered all the side effects and then discovered it hadn’t worked and you need salvage RT/HT anyway. That happened to my husband (he had a 55% chance of recurrence but didn’t really understand at the time what that meant) and he has very much regretted rushing into the surgery as it is so hard to live with the long term effects.

The other thing to consider is that with the RT/HT you have a better than 50% chance of getting to full remission :-)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 January 2018 18:10:19(UTC)

Hi Rich
Check my profile. I was similar to you in all stats. They gave me the op and then found I was G9 T4 N1 with 5 lymph’s cancerous out of 18. The post op results were tragic psa wise and I detested the 2 yrs of ED. I was only 48. I think Lyn is right ( she usually is ) and the best course is a damn good bout of RT to knock it back. Best of luck

If life gives you lemons , then make lemonade
User
Posted 13 January 2018 18:57:31(UTC)
Hi Rich,
My husband was G9 T3B N0 M0 he has HDBrachytherapy then 5 weeks of RT, he will be on Prostrap until June 2018 his PSA has been undetectable for the last year <0.1
He is happy with his decision, regaining his strength and managing the side effects of the HT reasonably well. He has no libido, gets the occasional hot flush, and the odd day of tiredness.
Our lives have changed, physically emotionally and socially. We are the same people readjusting our lives to make the best of something we did not want, this bl##dy disease is something none of us want.
What we do want is quality of life, enjoyment, health and happiness, we will not let this disease get the better of us. We hope he does not have to have further treatments, and he’s been given the old stats of a 50/50 chance of remission. I’m no medic or mathematician but even I can work that one out. A medical friend has told us that usually oncologists are a conservative bunch, so I’m hoping she is right.
He is older than you at 67, fairly fit, still running a small holding and playing as a muzo every day ( at home) so it’s not all doom and gloom, though we both fall into the emotional black hole sometimes, but make sure we drag ourselves out, cos it’s not a good place to be.

Research ask questions and use this site, it has been a place of great support for me.

Leila

User
Posted 14 January 2018 12:25:43(UTC)

You lot are are great especially the ubiquitous "LynEyre"!!!!

©2018 Prostate Cancer UK