Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Any experience of Metafornin on Stampede Trial

User
Posted 15 Jan 2018 at 17:24
Hi Everyone

Does anyone have any experience of Metafornin as an adjuvant treatment for advanced prostate cancer?

Any advice gratefully received. xxx

User
Posted 15 Jan 2018 at 22:36

Hello Deedee,
I can't answer re Metformin as I don't have the knowledge but hopefully somebody else will be along now that I've bumped you.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 15 Jan 2018 at 23:06

Gromit has been on it, and I think Paul Kirkham. If you put metformin (without the ‘a’) into the search box you will find a number of conversations about it over the last couple of years.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Jan 2018 at 17:45

Metformin was one of the base treatment types with which cabazitaxel, for example was compared in trials. It didn't do very well. I am surprised to see it still being used. I wonder why?

AC

User
Posted 16 Jan 2018 at 20:07

Trust your medics - if he has been offered Metformin it is presumably as part of the Stampede trial and Stampede don't waste their time on things that are a bit iffy. The Metformin is given alongside another treatment such as his existing HT or one that he hasn't had yet - the theory being that it reduces the side effects of the HT while having very few side effects itself. They also want to see whether it actually makes the HT work for longer.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Jan 2018 at 22:21

The STAMPEDE trial for Metformin is still ongoing. I signed up for it in the autumn of 2016 but am in the control group so can’t provide any info on side effects or noticeable benefits. My role is just extra blood tests and filling out a questionnaire every three months.

User
Posted 01 Feb 2018 at 08:16

Hi,

my husband was on the metformin stampede trial since he was d Hiagnosed with prostate cancer from May 2017.
His experience is/was that the side effects got worst with itchy skin and rashes. He also developed a problem with his kidney not working properly....cannot say it was down to the metformin, but it does say in the information sheet if you have any problems with kidneys not to take them. Our oncologist said that it was not a problem....he continues to have problems....to the point he now needs surgical intervention......our GP stopped the metformin......and my husband has decided he no longer wants to be given in when he is better. besides just being monitored every 6 weeks with blood tests, and filling in questionnaires.....its hard to know what beneift it might be doing.......i undertand this is the 11th stampede trial...so it is obviously working for some people in some way........i would say get all the info you can....it was advised to us straight after we had the diagnosis and not enough time to process one thing without taking on another.......

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Jan 2018 at 22:36

Hello Deedee,
I can't answer re Metformin as I don't have the knowledge but hopefully somebody else will be along now that I've bumped you.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 15 Jan 2018 at 23:06

Gromit has been on it, and I think Paul Kirkham. If you put metformin (without the ‘a’) into the search box you will find a number of conversations about it over the last couple of years.

User
Posted 16 Jan 2018 at 17:45

Metformin was one of the base treatment types with which cabazitaxel, for example was compared in trials. It didn't do very well. I am surprised to see it still being used. I wonder why?

AC

User
Posted 16 Jan 2018 at 18:07

Hi AC
How interesting, think we may dismiss this option then!
We did wonder why a drug that was initially used for the treatment of diabetes was being offered but you grasp at any straw.
Thank you so much for replying. X

User
Posted 16 Jan 2018 at 19:18

Metformin is having some really good results in combination trials

User
Posted 16 Jan 2018 at 19:28
Hi Lyn,

Thank you perhaps best not to make a snap decision and see the combination on offer first?

Finding at the moment it’s just too easy to overreact when emotions are running high and you’re all over the place. X

User
Posted 16 Jan 2018 at 20:07

Trust your medics - if he has been offered Metformin it is presumably as part of the Stampede trial and Stampede don't waste their time on things that are a bit iffy. The Metformin is given alongside another treatment such as his existing HT or one that he hasn't had yet - the theory being that it reduces the side effects of the HT while having very few side effects itself. They also want to see whether it actually makes the HT work for longer.

User
Posted 16 Jan 2018 at 22:21

The STAMPEDE trial for Metformin is still ongoing. I signed up for it in the autumn of 2016 but am in the control group so can’t provide any info on side effects or noticeable benefits. My role is just extra blood tests and filling out a questionnaire every three months.

User
Posted 01 Feb 2018 at 08:16

Hi,

my husband was on the metformin stampede trial since he was d Hiagnosed with prostate cancer from May 2017.
His experience is/was that the side effects got worst with itchy skin and rashes. He also developed a problem with his kidney not working properly....cannot say it was down to the metformin, but it does say in the information sheet if you have any problems with kidneys not to take them. Our oncologist said that it was not a problem....he continues to have problems....to the point he now needs surgical intervention......our GP stopped the metformin......and my husband has decided he no longer wants to be given in when he is better. besides just being monitored every 6 weeks with blood tests, and filling in questionnaires.....its hard to know what beneift it might be doing.......i undertand this is the 11th stampede trial...so it is obviously working for some people in some way........i would say get all the info you can....it was advised to us straight after we had the diagnosis and not enough time to process one thing without taking on another.......

User
Posted 01 Feb 2018 at 17:19

Shef,

I cannot follow your stream of consciousness writing. Can you stick to conventional sentences, please? Do I deduce that you think the Stampede trials all involved Metformin? Not so. They cover a range of treatment types. Naturally, not all the trials will lead to treatment improvements, but hopefully out of the scattergun approach will come some agreed improvements.?

AC

User
Posted 14 Nov 2018 at 23:46

Metformin enhances the antiproliferative and apoptotic effect of bicalutamide in prostate cancer

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22614062?access_num=22614062&link_type=MED