Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Next steps after Abiraterone issues

User
Posted 17 Jan 2018 at 16:31
Hi all

I was diagnosed with advance stage PCa with wide spread through the bones in May 2017. Standard treatment should have been 3 monthly Prostap injection with chemo after 2-3 months but I managed to avoid chemo by going on Abiraterone (funded by BUPA). Unfortunately my liver doesn’t seem to like the Abi and I’ve now been off it for 5 weeks. Saw the onco today and we are going to do bloods again in 3 weeks and then try Abi for a final time on a half dose.

We talked about what happens if I can’t get back on the Abi and Doc said he would basically do nothing apart from the Prostap until my PSA starts to rise and then he thinks enzalutamide would be next and saw no point in doing chemo now.

PSA has been non-registerable for 6 months or so now and came down extremely quickly once starting hormone therapy.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this protocol? Are there any alternatives?
User
Posted 17 Jan 2018 at 17:39

Tony, I wouldn't argue about the treatment proposed, but I would have wanted an up to date scan. You might be one of those rare cases where there is a disconnect between your PSA and what can be seen in the scan. But is there is nothing to see you may be in for a treatment holiday. I do hope so!

AC