I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiation Cystitis

User
Posted 21 Jan 2018 at 15:12

Hi all, as one possible side effect of RT this is a doozey. Like peeing lava. 

I understand this usually may start after 4/5 weeks but I have started after one!

Does any one have experience of this and how long it goes on for.

The only advice so far is to reduce pain by drinking cranberry/no caffeine/no alcohol !!

Any advice welcome.

Thanks Phil

User
Posted 21 Jan 2018 at 21:50

John was told very clearly before he started that he must not drink any caffeine, alcohol or fizzy drinks for the entire time he was having the RT. The RT team also advised lots of cranberry juice (pure, not ‘from concentrate’ stuff) so if you didn’t get that advice beforehand at least you have it now. Fingers crossed your cystitis is better very quickly.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Jan 2018 at 22:07

Hi Phil,

I had cystitis during RT after I reduced the amount I drank one evening after treatment.

It stopped as soon as I returned to drinking 2L water through the evenings after treatment.

Good luck, G

User
Posted 22 Jan 2018 at 12:48

I sympathize with you Phil but hang in there - I recently finished 4 weeks radiotherapy and I too got cystitis 1 week into treatment - yes it is painful but I found the worst part was the fear that my wee was going to completely stop - particularly at night when the flow became a series of drops. Because of the urgency you get to pee I kept thinking that I was going to have to rush to hospital with my urine passage completely closed and my bladder bursting ! Although I worried about this, thankfully my flow never completely stopped.
Added to that the constant getting up in the night was really tiring.
Also that thing of having a full bladder for your treatment becomes a real test because once you get that urge to go while you are waiting it is sooo difficult to hold it in. A number of times I had to literally jump off the table as the machine finished and run to the loo !
All I can say to help you is that I made it through my 4 weeks OK by taking ibuprophen, drinking lots of water, peeing through the pain and putting up with 6-7 visits a night to the loo. At the end of my radiotherapy they gave me Tamsulosin capsules to take for the cystitis which was a godsend. Its not used for anyone who suffers with blood pressure problems but I found it amazing in relieving the symptoms - I took it for a week and by then my cystitis had more or less gone so I didnt need it anymore.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2018 at 22:26

Thanks all I had never heard of the possibility of this before starting RT. I have tried all the recommendations to no avail, I am having a chat with consultant tomorrow after treatment, see if he has any advice, if he does I will post.
My ability / need to urinate has so far not been affected, except for now needing to go once during night, hope this continues through next 5 weeks of treatment as this pain is no fun, sounds like not a high chance though.
Thank you for all the information, will give me something to ask about tomorrow.
Phil

User
Posted 23 Jan 2018 at 07:28
Phil

The term radiation cystitis seems to cover anything from a slight stinging to total dysfunction of the bladder. I had some issues during the treatment and the urgency got quite bad. The staff did say I could use a urine bottle in the treatment room if I needed to, fortunately it never got to that. I was also tested for urine infections a few times during treatment. 4 months post treatment was when my problems really started, passing large amounts of blood clots and debris.

Hope all goes well with your consultant today.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 23 Jan 2018 at 10:25

Drink plenty - water squash etc.
Cranberry juice often helps.

And when you've done that, drink some more.

Not just for the cystitis, but avoidance of constipation and keeping your kidneys clean as they deal with the detritus of radiotherapy.

Oh, and talk to the radiotherapy staff - they've seen it all, and know exactly what's happening to you.

User
Posted 15 Apr 2019 at 15:58

I am experiencing exactly the same but only after 32/37. This weekend has been quite painful with burning sensation but after the slow first one 5 minutes later I seem to be good flow and no pain. Been restricting intake before bed time but this I might just go back to having a drink so that flow is better? Taking 2 x 500mg paracetamol before bed but that hasn't helped. Seeing my Oncologist tomorrow for final treatment review (although last one isn't till Easter Monday - they get Good Friday off apparently). Think I will ask Doctor for Tamsulosin capsules?

User
Posted 15 Apr 2019 at 18:34
Ray, this is a very, very common side-effect. Tamsulosin will help with any flow issues, but won’t do anything for the burning pain - that’s caused by bladder irritation. Cut out the caffeine and try drinking cranberry juice - it had a quite dramatic effect for me.

The good news is that in my case the pain had gone within 10 days of finishing treatment; hopefully it’ll be the same for you.

Very best of luck with the remainder of your treatment,

Chris

User
Posted 15 Apr 2019 at 19:38
Chris,

Thanks for the quick response, positive comments and sharing your experience of the ways to treat the issues I am facing at the moment. Will try Cranberry Juice and see how I go :-) Ised to drink Pomegranate Juice before I was diagnosed as its supposed to be good for the Prostate? Cranberry Juice is cheaper...

User
Posted 15 Apr 2019 at 21:41
If you can, buy pure cranberry juice rather than the cheaper 'from concentrate' sold in most supermarkets. Failing that, cranberry sachets may help (pharmacy aisle of supermarket, near the vitamins and women's health products)
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 15 Apr 2019 at 21:47
The off-the-shelf stuff from Sainsbury’s worked fine for me!

User
Posted 15 Apr 2019 at 22:07
Thanks everyone. Will be buying cranberry juice first thing tomorrow...
User
Posted 17 Apr 2019 at 16:52

Doctor checked my urine and no infection, which was good to know, then prescribed me Tamsulosin and it’s a miracle drug... no burning sensation any more and bladder is emptying without any issues at all. Wish I had asked for it last week rather than the pain of the weekend. Also drinking cranberry juice as I like it and it’s a good way to prevent cystitis.

2 more of my 37 treatments to go and all finished, although still on 3 years of hormone injections every 3 months so 2.5 years of that to look forward to.

Edited by member 17 Apr 2019 at 16:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Apr 2019 at 18:12
That’s great news, Ray! Yes, Tamsulosin provides almost immediate relief - it’s a fabulous drug.
User
Posted 18 Apr 2019 at 09:31
A relative gave me a smoothie blender for Christmas. Very kind, though I had no use for it, so it sat in it's box for a long while. When radiation cystitis landed, it finally had a use! I bought a box of fresh cranberries, threw some in the blender, added water and some sugar (they are fairly bitter!) and created a cupful of seedy red gloop. And it worked! Next day, I was mended. Cranberries are magic.