Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New joiner - surgery soon

User
Posted 21 Jan 2018 at 20:41

hello all

I'm 47 years old, and was diagnosed in November last year. The initial trigger was a pro-active health and fitness assessment earlier in the year which gave me a PSA of 4.7. I suppose being rational about it, it really shows the value of those sorts of assessments as I'd not had any symptoms. (The rest of the assessment showed I was on top form - so a bit bitter/sweet or something!)

My local NHS trust has referred my to the Royal Marsden, and I'm due in for a radical prostatectomy in mid Feb. Going in next Wednesday for pre-op assessment and meeting with the consultant.

Feeling a bit strange. There's a clear plan of what to do, there's not really any decisions to make, so it's not difficult in that sense. But I've got the usual worries about the urinary and ED impact. And that they get all the cancer out.

My long-time girlfriend is supportive, and I've really benefited from a couple of old mates - for whom no detail is too gory, and they ensure I talk about everything.

Seems like there's a massive wealth of personal experience, advice and support here - definitely good to join, and hopefully contribute.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2018 at 22:09

Hello Matt and welcome to the site.
We have other men on here in their 40s.

The worry of ED and incontinence impacts pretty much on all PC sufferers but obviously the younger you are the bigger the worry.

Go to Publications on this site and you can download more information regarding treatments. It may help.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of support from others on the site. Any questions you want to ask, please feel free. Nothing is taboo if the question warrants an answer.

Best Wishes for the operation and I hope it all goes according to plan.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 21 Jan 2018 at 22:15

Hi ,
Click my picture and read my profile if you like. I was the same age as you at diagnosis and had surgery in 2015. Sadly my psa was 4 and over since 2011 , yet was neglected and I was even put on testosterone replacement. So maybe great they have caught you now. I’m in the incurable camp despite surgery sadly. It’s a long road ahead and not easy , but you CAN get through this. Especially with a supportive partner. It seems incontinence probs are less common and it helps to be younger I feel. ED is the ultimate fu***er , but 30 months on we have a normal sex life back. But it can bring you together and stronger strangely , and understand each other more. Sadly I will lose all my recovery again when I restart treatment. I wish you all the luck in the world and please ask for advice. Many many good people on here

User
Posted 22 Jan 2018 at 00:05
Scrubland

Welcome. I'm 47 too. Had my prostatectomy last year. Sadly now awaiting radiotherapy. Are you having nerve sparing surgery? I didn't and so am dependent on injections for ED. Incontinence wasn't a hassle.

Best of luck for the surgery - and don't worry about it as it isn't as bad as you may fear.

Ulsterman
User
Posted 22 Jan 2018 at 08:07

Hi Chris

Many thanks for your welcome, best wishes and sharing of your experience. I read your profile. Blimey. Bit lost for words. Thanks again for sharing, and best wishes to you.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2018 at 08:11

hey Ulsterman

Thanks for your response. Sorry to hear you needing radiotherapy. Re: nerve saving - need to speak to the docs on wed about that - definitely hoping they can.