Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New treatment for PCa using a virus

User
Posted 23 Jan 2018 at 18:11

Hi

Have been watching a fascinating series on BBC 2 called Surgeons on the edge of life.  It shows some of the ops being done in the 42 operating theaters  of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.  (What a difference from the ancient former hospital there where I had my second opinion in 2007/8).  Last night (Monday), was of particular interest as one of the ops was for Gene Therapy for PCa.  Briefly, this featured a trial whereby in simple terms, a man had a modified cold virus injected into tumours in his prostate.  This attaches to cancer cells and subsequently the man is given an injection which kills the virus infected cells.  Of course it is not known how this will work out in the long term but it minimizes the damage to non cancerous cells ,so potentially could be a very good step forward.

It can be viewed on BBC 2 Catch up.   I do wish those making programs would see one operation through rather than switching backwards and forwards between several ops but nothing one can do about that

PS  It can be got on I Player here https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09pvnhc/surgeons-at-the-edge-of-life-series-1-3-the-pioneers#

Edited by member 23 Jan 2018 at 21:24  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 23 Jan 2018 at 18:11

Hi

Have been watching a fascinating series on BBC 2 called Surgeons on the edge of life.  It shows some of the ops being done in the 42 operating theaters  of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.  (What a difference from the ancient former hospital there where I had my second opinion in 2007/8).  Last night (Monday), was of particular interest as one of the ops was for Gene Therapy for PCa.  Briefly, this featured a trial whereby in simple terms, a man had a modified cold virus injected into tumours in his prostate.  This attaches to cancer cells and subsequently the man is given an injection which kills the virus infected cells.  Of course it is not known how this will work out in the long term but it minimizes the damage to non cancerous cells ,so potentially could be a very good step forward.

It can be viewed on BBC 2 Catch up.   I do wish those making programs would see one operation through rather than switching backwards and forwards between several ops but nothing one can do about that

PS  It can be got on I Player here https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09pvnhc/surgeons-at-the-edge-of-life-series-1-3-the-pioneers#

Edited by member 23 Jan 2018 at 21:24  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 23 Jan 2018 at 21:31

I posted this earlier in Trials section, then saw Barry's post, so copying it here:

Prostate Cancer Trial Featured on BBC 2 Surgeons: At The Edge of Life Programme. Genetically modified virus.

Available on iPlayer link below:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09pvnhc/surgeons-at-the-edge-of-life-series-1-3-the-pioneers

You have to register and login to view.

PCa Trial starts at 40:00 mins
Continues at 48:45 and 53:40

A genetically modified cold virus is injected into the prostate which attach to and change the bio-chemistry of the cancer cells and it is hoped, to provoke the body immune system to fight the cancer.

2 days later a drug is injected which kills the cancer cells affected by the virus.
After 2 weeks his PSa level had dropped from 80 to 65

Trial carried out at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham

A big hand for William Yates and the other 11 trial volunteers

User
Posted 23 Jan 2018 at 23:33

Hi Graham,

It sometimes happens that two people say much the same but because new subjects are delayed by moderation, they then start threads on the same subject unbeknown to each other. This seems to have been the case here and due to the way the forum is arranged is unavoidable.

Barry
User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 00:21
Thank you both- fascinating.

The trial looks very promising

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/find-a-clinical-trial/a-trial-looking-biological-therapy-treat-prostate-cancer-come-back-after-radiotherapy-hormone-therapy-adup

I raise a glass to the guys volunteering for all clinical trials.

A big thank you to them all

Clare

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Jan 2018 at 20:31

We do a lot of fundraising to help pay for a brain tumour research project between Leeds university and Leeds General infirmary. They have had very exciting results from injecting the cold sore virus into tumours. There is an increasing sense that the next major breakthrough in cancer treatment if not just around the corner then at least is now only a few streets away

Edited by member 23 Jan 2018 at 20:33  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Jan 2018 at 21:31

I posted this earlier in Trials section, then saw Barry's post, so copying it here:

Prostate Cancer Trial Featured on BBC 2 Surgeons: At The Edge of Life Programme. Genetically modified virus.

Available on iPlayer link below:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09pvnhc/surgeons-at-the-edge-of-life-series-1-3-the-pioneers

You have to register and login to view.

PCa Trial starts at 40:00 mins
Continues at 48:45 and 53:40

A genetically modified cold virus is injected into the prostate which attach to and change the bio-chemistry of the cancer cells and it is hoped, to provoke the body immune system to fight the cancer.

2 days later a drug is injected which kills the cancer cells affected by the virus.
After 2 weeks his PSa level had dropped from 80 to 65

Trial carried out at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham

A big hand for William Yates and the other 11 trial volunteers

User
Posted 23 Jan 2018 at 23:33

Hi Graham,

It sometimes happens that two people say much the same but because new subjects are delayed by moderation, they then start threads on the same subject unbeknown to each other. This seems to have been the case here and due to the way the forum is arranged is unavoidable.

Barry
User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 00:21
Thank you both- fascinating.

The trial looks very promising

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/find-a-clinical-trial/a-trial-looking-biological-therapy-treat-prostate-cancer-come-back-after-radiotherapy-hormone-therapy-adup

I raise a glass to the guys volunteering for all clinical trials.

A big thank you to them all

Clare

User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 04:57

I wonder if someone who has a nephrostomy and suprapubic catheter would be eligible for such a trial?

User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 22:50
No harm in asking ...

Regards