I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

slightly enlarged prostate at 34

User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 11:48
I'm 34, male and for more than 2 months now I've been experiencing some strange, vague symptoms which are actually hard to describe as there is no pain or anything severe physically. 

It's like a slight sensation of fullness with a very slight urge to pee which is more prominent at night and can disturb my sleep. I wake up around 3/4 am on and off for these 2 months with that slight sensation. Sometimes it makes me want to pee but most of the time I don't need to go so I don't, so it's not really that severe.

Occasionally I'll end up having an urge to pee and some days I have voided a bit more than other days despite not changing my drinking habits. 
I've never had pain or burning or straining when peeing and there's no pain whatsoever anywhere else.
I've had urianalysis samples done 4 times, all normal, tested my blood glucose level several times using home testing kits before/after meals and that's normal too. I then finally had a DRE and to my surprise, the doctor said it was slightly enlarged however it was very smooth and normal in that regard. It shocked me because I didn't expect someone my age to have this but the doctor wasn't overly concerned about it and said it's not abnormal and this can happen and it's nothing hugely to worry about. Nevertheless it's got me really anxious now. He gave me a PSA form so I'm going to go and get that done. I realise that prostate enlargement is a benign condition and there is no link to cancer but I don't know, I'm a little worried. Am I right in thinking that the smoothness and surface/texture of the prostate is more important than the actual size? 

He thinks that my symptoms are more likely due to a slight over-active bladder than anything else. 

I should also mention in relation to the enlarged prostate and a reason why possibly it could be in my case is that I have mas-bing on average once a day since I was around 13/14 years of age. Now that is quite alot of mas-bion and I know this has a connection with your prostate right? Is there any connection with prostate enlargement and m? 

Also on the morning of the DRE I had mastb'd about an hour/1.5 hours before it so I don't know if that too had an effect.

User
Posted 27 Jan 2018 at 18:30

It is possible - we have had a couple of members in their 30s. Are you black African?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Jan 2018 at 11:29
Hello, I’m in shock, good shock! I was fairly convinced that the outcome from my biopsy would be difficult based on my PSA results and my “suspicious “ MRI however I saw my consultant on Monday and was told no cancer......I haven’t taken in all the detail although it would seem that I have an prostrate that’s got a little larger than the average for men of my age. I’m also being cautious as I have read that cancer can be missed despite biopsy although with a template guided perineal I’m hopeful it really is all clear.....I will have another PSA in 6 months. My heart goes out to the many many guys who’s situations I have read about here and who are struggling, my scare was enough to give me a tiny insight to the anxiety this causes to everyone concerned.....my sincerest best wishes to you all. My only tiny contribution will be to make PCUK my charity of choice from now on.....Thanks Mike

Edited by member 30 Jan 2018 at 11:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jan 2018 at 11:58

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Hello, I’m in shock, good shock! I was fairly convinced that the outcome from my biopsy would be difficult based on my PSA results and my “suspicious “ MRI however I saw my consultant on Monday and was told no cancer......I haven’t taken in all the detail although it would seem that I have an prostrate that’s got a little larger than the average for men of my age. I’m also being cautious as I have read that cancer can be missed despite biopsy although with a template guided perineal I’m hopeful it really is all clear.....I will have another PSA in 6 months. My heart goes out to the many many guys who’s situations I have read about here and who are struggling, my scare was enough to give me a tiny insight to the anxiety this causes to everyone concerned.....my sincerest best wishes to you all. My only tiny contribution will be to make PCUK my charity of choice from now on.....Thanks Mike

Mikey Mike, that must be such a relief for you! Good news. I guess it's good you had it checked so that now it can be a measure for the future. Around your age I would have thought your prostate would be large already.  

User
Posted 30 Jan 2018 at 14:36

Well, there you go winglets.

The proof of the pudding so to speak.

You ask in various posts on this site for info and mention how scared you are to have the PSA done.

Mike's results must encourage you to stop wondering whether to go for it and just do it !!

Well done Mikeymike. Very pleased for you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 Feb 2018 at 14:48
Thanks for the reply I’m now reading my consultants letter that confirms cancer free, however suggests that some atypical ascini are present. These they will examine further and then get in touch with results.....will have to find out what they are....
User
Posted 02 Feb 2018 at 18:38
Hi Winglets. I'm glad your results are normal? What exactly were your results? You seem to have had a very quick result. Did you go private or use your home test? I don't know why you are so apparently anxious about yearly PSA increases since you have no problem.

You should just be glad you have not got cancer and go and live your life. If you have issues accepting you do not have a health problem perhaps you should discuss this with your GP and get a referral to a psychologist/, counsellor.

Best wishes

User
Posted 02 Feb 2018 at 18:50
Winglets or whatever name he is using this week is a troll.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 14:41

i would say that daily masturbation is fairly normal and although there is an indirect link it is the opposite way round - suggestions are that men who don't ejaculate very often are more at risk of prostate cancer. Regular anal sex or anal stimulation might increase the risk but the science is not absolute on this. There is no link between masturbation and enlarged prostate - the most common cause of enlarged prostate is simply getting older - it is one of the few parts of the body that doesn't stop growing.

The GP was sensible to allow you to have a PSA test - this will give you a baseline for the future - but assuming that comes back as within acceptable limits, it seems that over-active bladder is the most likely explanation in which case they can give you tablets or refer you to a bladder retraining clinic. You should also consider whether you have been under increased anxiety over the last couple of months - anxiety can cause fitful sleep and once woken, the mind goes to the bladder .... this is the remnants of learning to sleep without a nappy when you were a small child.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 15:48

Suggest that you don't m'bate for a couple of days before providing blood for a PSA test as activity such as this or even riding a cycle shortly before can cause the blood PSA test to provide an elevated reading.

Barry
User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 20:24

i would say that daily masturbation is fairly normal and although there is an indirect link it is the opposite way round - suggestions are that men who don't ejaculate very often are more at risk of prostate cancer. Regular anal sex or anal stimulation might increase the risk but the science is not absolute on this. There is no link between masturbation and enlarged prostate - the most common cause of enlarged prostate is simply getting older - it is one of the few parts of the body that doesn't stop growing.

The GP was sensible to allow you to have a PSA test - this will give you a baseline for the future - but assuming that comes back as within acceptable limits, it seems that over-active bladder is the most likely explanation in which case they can give you tablets or refer you to a bladder retraining clinic. You should also consider whether you have been under increased anxiety over the last couple of months - anxiety can cause fitful sleep and once woken, the mind goes to the bladder .... this is the remnants of learning to sleep without a nappy when you were a small child.

Thank you for your thoughts. I guess I just need to relax but I'm still feeling a little confused and in shock over the fact that I have this slightly enlarged prostate at my age. I know it's benign but it just feels very depressing having something that I should really be having 15 years from now.

User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 21:38

For all you know, you may have been born with a slightly larger than average prostate. Unless the GP has given you DREs before, s/he won't know how big yours was 10 or 15 years ago. Try to keep it in context unless you get new information that causes concern.

User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 23:57

For all you know, you may have been born with a slightly larger than average prostate. Unless the GP has given you DREs before, s/he won't know how big yours was 10 or 15 years ago. Try to keep it in context unless you get new information that causes concern.

That's interesting, I didn't think about that. This is the first DRE I've ever had obv so I would have no way of knowing. I am big guy, 6"2, around 180 lbs so I don't know if that plays a part? You know bigger men generally have bigger assets on the whole I would say but would that include certain organs like the prostate?  

User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 10:07

Also would you say that most men with enlarged prostate suffer ED (erectile dysfunction)? 

User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 17:24

No - unlikely to be related

User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 22:26
Only joined today and I find everything fascinating, helpful and scary......I meet my consultant next Monday 29th for my biopsy results. I was lucky enough it seems to have MRI before biopsy so had template guided a week ago. All very surprising as I only mentioned in passing to my GP that my urination frequency was up a bit. As I’m 62 he suggested a PSA first was 4.6 second 4 weeks later 4.7 So here I am.....will no doubt be back once I’ve got my results ✌️
User
Posted 27 Jan 2018 at 05:56

Sorry to hear Mikey Mike, let us know when you have the results...

Does anyone know why prostate issues, if you have them, flare up or become more evident when you’re in bed overnight? Is it something to do with being prone/lying down?

The last few days now, I've woken up around 2am with a stronger urge to pee, however it's still not strong enough to actually make me go pee. Sometimes I'll fall back to sleep only to wake up again around 4-5am with that urge still present but again if I just lie in bed it sort of lessens and once I actually get up it's not really there. So it's literally just present when it wakes me up.

Also I have this strange taste in my mouth for a short while upon waking. 

My actual urination frequency is normal, that's volumes (about 2-2.5l a day) and number of times I'm going (4-5 times/day), it's just that at night time I keep waking up at these odd times even though I've made sure I didn't drink anything before bed.

Edited by member 27 Jan 2018 at 05:57  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Jan 2018 at 10:13

It is called nocturia and it has a number of causes, including anxiety, poor sleep quality, heart problems, lymphodema and prostate issues. My husband had nocturia from the age of 35 and was diagnosed with a bladder muscle problem for which he took tablets for 15 years.

Your brain is waking you up, not your bladder. During the day, you have other things going on to take your mind off toilet issues. In the night, your brain is king. Bladder retraining is actually about retraining the brain so that it stops thinking you need to urinate when you don’t.

Waking with a strange taste in your mouth is usually associated with either infection or sleeping with your mouth open.

Edited by member 27 Jan 2018 at 10:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Jan 2018 at 17:27
Thanks for the reply....I will definitely be back post Mondays results meeting. Hard not keep second guessing outcomes and the nagging voice saying “if only you hadn’t mentioned it” irrational I know.....

Edited by member 27 Jan 2018 at 17:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Jan 2018 at 18:30

It is possible - we have had a couple of members in their 30s. Are you black African?

User
Posted 27 Jan 2018 at 18:41

What's possible in 30s? I'm south asian actually. I do have prostate cancer in my family, an uncle from mother's side who was diagnosed recently in his late 60s. Not sure if that increases my risk or not?

User
Posted 30 Jan 2018 at 11:29

Edited by member 30 Jan 2018 at 11:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jan 2018 at 11:58

Mikey Mike, that must be such a relief for you! Good news. I guess it's good you had it checked so that now it can be a measure for the future. Around your age I would have thought your prostate would be large already.  

User
Posted 30 Jan 2018 at 14:36

Well, there you go winglets.

The proof of the pudding so to speak.

You ask in various posts on this site for info and mention how scared you are to have the PSA done.

Mike's results must encourage you to stop wondering whether to go for it and just do it !!

Well done Mikeymike. Very pleased for you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 Feb 2018 at 14:48
Thanks for the reply I’m now reading my consultants letter that confirms cancer free, however suggests that some atypical ascini are present. These they will examine further and then get in touch with results.....will have to find out what they are....
User
Posted 02 Feb 2018 at 17:27

So I got my psa done and it was normal but just a few things...
How do PSA levels increase? I know as you get older they get raised but what is the acceptable level of increase say per year? Like 0.1 each year?  Or does it not work that way? Also how can you work at decreasing your levels?

User
Posted 02 Feb 2018 at 18:38
Hi Winglets. I'm glad your results are normal? What exactly were your results? You seem to have had a very quick result. Did you go private or use your home test? I don't know why you are so apparently anxious about yearly PSA increases since you have no problem.

You should just be glad you have not got cancer and go and live your life. If you have issues accepting you do not have a health problem perhaps you should discuss this with your GP and get a referral to a psychologist/, counsellor.

Best wishes

User
Posted 02 Feb 2018 at 18:50
Winglets or whatever name he is using this week is a troll.
User
Posted 03 Feb 2018 at 00:27

Why would I troll a place like this Jim?
I'm just someone who is just concerned about my health that's all and I understand that I struggle to keep it together but I guess that's just my anxiety.
Thanks Peggles, I was just curious to know about the expected annual increases in PSA ? Sure my level is fine for now but obviously in the coming years, I want to keep an eye on it.

User
Posted 04 Feb 2018 at 15:49

Winglets, just to let you know that I don't respond to private messages - I think it is really important that conversations are held openly so that all members have a chance to correct any misunderstandings or misinformation.

A PSA of 0.7 is average for your age. By the time you are in your 40s, the upper limit of the 'normal' range would be 2.5 and the upper limit for a 50 year old is around 3.0

I still think you should seek medical advice in relation to possible anxiety / mental health issues.

User
Posted 05 Feb 2018 at 00:05

I will not be responding to PM Winglets sent to me also. Agree he should seek advice from GP/Psychiatrist and not take up time of those folks here affected by PCa.

Barry
User
Posted 05 Feb 2018 at 21:00

Thank you for the response. I can now move on from this.
Sorry for being a nuisance and if I upset anyone.
Best of luck to you all on your respective journeys