I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Have I killed an albatross?

User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 14:28
My diagnosis was localised cancer, with a Gleason of 7. After a lot of discussion and thought, I decided that radiotherapy was the way to go.

I never bother thinking about the cancer, but that might change as I have my planning meeting tomorrow, but I'll try not to worry because I expect it to be successful.

The problem I have is with the hormone therapy, which has so far been one month of pills, two months of injection. I expected some fatigue, but not as severe as I'm finding. On occasion, it's so bad I find it difficult to speak, my brain batteries feel almost totally dead. It only lasts an hour or two before it lifts, but the tiredness is such that I don't have the energy to go to sleep for a nap. There's no way I can take the dogs for a walk.

Is it just me, or do other peeps have it this bad?

There is another complicating factor in that virtually on the same day as the diagnosis, a large painful hernia made its appearance in my groin, my guts were popping in and out as they wished. Not a good situation when they are targeting a small object which moves about. So that was successfully repaired last week. There is normally some fatigue after an op with general anaesthetic, so this has made it worse (hopefully temporarily)

Not really relevant to this, on the same day as my diagnosis, I had a message from the GP saying I was borderline diabetic and I need to do something about it. For the time being I'm ignoring this. I can't remember killing an albatross!!

Does anyone have any encouraging words or thoughts?😀
User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 16:07

The good news you're on the path of a radical cure - always keep that in mind.

Unfortuantly HT can bring fatigue. From my experience it did lessen, although it took sometime getting there. Do try to walk the dog as exercise will help beat fatigue. Lack of concentration was a nuisance but you find ways to lessen that. Regards diabetes although I was fine some guys felt HT was the cause or tippef the scales so do what you can to help yourself.

Good luck with the RT sessions.

Ray

User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 16:43

Tykey, you do seem to have suffered particularly with the HT. Now why should this be? Is your weight about where it should be? The dog walking is about the best form of exercise you could be undertaking, provided it is sufficient to satisfy your dog and keep your weight under control, say an hour and a half a day?

You have done the RT and inguinal hernia repair the right way round. I had a repair done four weeks after RT and the surgeon pulled a long face and muttered about increased risks when I told him of the RT. But it went OK.

I think the only way to combat the lethargy you are experiencing is with positive thinking. Set yourself a daily exercise target and make this part of your recovery plan. I do believe the problem will ease as your body adjusts to the lack of testosterone in your system, but you need to be determined about this.

Hope it improves - I found I was able to adjust after a few months and hit my target weight and maintain it. Never easy, I know, but I wish you luck!

AC

User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 21:41

Swimming is reported to be very good for men suffering HT fatigue and you might want to phone the excellent nurses on the helpline (number at the top of the web page) - PCUK had a project relating to HT fatigue a couple of years ago which may still be available or if not, they will be able to give you some strategies you might not have thought of.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 16:22

There's not much point in asking for advice, and then not taking it.

So I decided to do what you all suggested, more exercise and a more positive approach. The after effects of last weeks's hernia operation have now past, apart from a bit of pain when I do too much, which have simplified things.

So if I'm feeling a bad attack of fatigue coming on, I now decide to ignore it and immediately take the dogs for a walk, instead of giving in. I have a 13 week old puppy, so it's good fun as well!

It's only been two or three days, but the improvement has been great. Not sure if it's a coincidence, but the hot flushes are far less  frequent and shorter.

I might have tried swimming, but I have one false knee, so can't kick well with that leg, so I go in circles!

So all is looking gooder (I know there isn't such a word!), and thanks to you all for sorting my head out. 

5 weeks to go before RT starts, I can see the light at the end of the tunnelhttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 17:48

Some people swim in circles with two good knees :-/

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 17:56

Tykey, that's brilliant. Your little friend will force you to do the right amount of exercise and it will be of the best sort - meeting his/her needs first! Well done, mate!

AC

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 16:07

The good news you're on the path of a radical cure - always keep that in mind.

Unfortuantly HT can bring fatigue. From my experience it did lessen, although it took sometime getting there. Do try to walk the dog as exercise will help beat fatigue. Lack of concentration was a nuisance but you find ways to lessen that. Regards diabetes although I was fine some guys felt HT was the cause or tippef the scales so do what you can to help yourself.

Good luck with the RT sessions.

Ray

User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 16:43

Tykey, you do seem to have suffered particularly with the HT. Now why should this be? Is your weight about where it should be? The dog walking is about the best form of exercise you could be undertaking, provided it is sufficient to satisfy your dog and keep your weight under control, say an hour and a half a day?

You have done the RT and inguinal hernia repair the right way round. I had a repair done four weeks after RT and the surgeon pulled a long face and muttered about increased risks when I told him of the RT. But it went OK.

I think the only way to combat the lethargy you are experiencing is with positive thinking. Set yourself a daily exercise target and make this part of your recovery plan. I do believe the problem will ease as your body adjusts to the lack of testosterone in your system, but you need to be determined about this.

Hope it improves - I found I was able to adjust after a few months and hit my target weight and maintain it. Never easy, I know, but I wish you luck!

AC

User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 18:18
Thanks Auld Codger. Both you and Ray have told me to get out walking more. That's definitely now going to happen, but (and this is no excuse) my hernia needs to heal a bit more. Another couple of weeks might well be enough.
In the meantime, yes Im overweight, so a healthy diet for me!

Huge thanks to you and Ray for getting both my mind and arse in gear!😀😀😀😀
User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 21:41

Swimming is reported to be very good for men suffering HT fatigue and you might want to phone the excellent nurses on the helpline (number at the top of the web page) - PCUK had a project relating to HT fatigue a couple of years ago which may still be available or if not, they will be able to give you some strategies you might not have thought of.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 16:22

There's not much point in asking for advice, and then not taking it.

So I decided to do what you all suggested, more exercise and a more positive approach. The after effects of last weeks's hernia operation have now past, apart from a bit of pain when I do too much, which have simplified things.

So if I'm feeling a bad attack of fatigue coming on, I now decide to ignore it and immediately take the dogs for a walk, instead of giving in. I have a 13 week old puppy, so it's good fun as well!

It's only been two or three days, but the improvement has been great. Not sure if it's a coincidence, but the hot flushes are far less  frequent and shorter.

I might have tried swimming, but I have one false knee, so can't kick well with that leg, so I go in circles!

So all is looking gooder (I know there isn't such a word!), and thanks to you all for sorting my head out. 

5 weeks to go before RT starts, I can see the light at the end of the tunnelhttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 17:48

Some people swim in circles with two good knees :-/

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 17:56

Tykey, that's brilliant. Your little friend will force you to do the right amount of exercise and it will be of the best sort - meeting his/her needs first! Well done, mate!

AC