I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Advanced Prostate Cancer - PSA 38 - PSA level,bone pain

User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 15:00

We had THE news everyone dreads. My Dad has been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer with a PSA reading of 38 and it has spread to one of his hip bones! Hormone treatment is the only option for him and is a few weeks in to the treatment. He had his first hot flush yesterday! This is a whole new adventure for us all and don't really know what to expect. Just starting to research about PC but a PSA reading of 38 is not good on any level. We're hoping that the next PSA test in 4 weeks will have not increased. Dad is in pain and discomfort in his hip and groan and they have upped his morphine patch dose. No idea how to support and comfort him but trying to keep positive. 

User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 16:48

The PSA is rather irrelevant now - lots of men have a PSA much higher even though they don't have prostate cancer and many men have PSA much lower but have mets in their bones or soft organs. The hormones should make his PSA drop like a stone but it is surprising that he is in pain - the hormones should have reduced that by now. What hormone is he on?

It is not right that hormones are the only option for a man with bone mets - many oncologists will couple the HT with chemo, steroids or other systemic treatments. It might be that your dad isn't suitable for chemo for some reason - have you had an explanation?

It would help if we knew a bit more, like how old he is? 

Edited by member 24 Jan 2018 at 16:49  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard