I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Mental health after chemo

User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 23:33
My dad finished chemo September last year and since then his mental health has been in decline resulting in a crisis during december. Where he spent Christmas day in a&e speaking to a psychiatric nurse and being reffered to the crisis team. He admitted he had planned suicide but didn't go through with it as he thought he would mess it up like everything else. He has lost lots of weight, all interest in life, really a shadow of himself. He says things that indicate to me he thinks this is it and its just so hard seeing him like this. He's given up driving, going to the pub to watch football, reading books and even the paper. He has to be encouraged to leave the house just to get milk or go to the chemist. I don't know how to help him out of this dark place. I live with my parents and it is wearing my mum down too who has her own health issues and I am trying my best to be suportive to them both but at the monent it feels like there is such a weight in the flat (if that makes sense) and i get a little feeling of dread going hone from work. I just wish I could help them more and my dad could enjoy what time he has left. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you
User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 00:38

Oh Kirstvc, how awful for you all. Was dad referred properly and allocated a community psychiatric nurse or perhaps put onto the caseload of a psychiatrist?

Is there a hospice near you? Many hospices have access to counselling and to staff who understand what families go through and it seems that you need somewhere safe to talk and get advice about how best to support your parents.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 19:20

Kirstvc, I'm ignorant of mental health issues, so won't comment on that. What concerns me is whether your Dad's treatment has finished or whether there are still treatment options to explore. Are you aware? If there is hope in further treatment, it may just because matter of showing how many of us on here are battling on through various treatment regimes. Surely, he has not rejected further treatment?
AC

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 00:38

Oh Kirstvc, how awful for you all. Was dad referred properly and allocated a community psychiatric nurse or perhaps put onto the caseload of a psychiatrist?

Is there a hospice near you? Many hospices have access to counselling and to staff who understand what families go through and it seems that you need somewhere safe to talk and get advice about how best to support your parents.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 19:20

Kirstvc, I'm ignorant of mental health issues, so won't comment on that. What concerns me is whether your Dad's treatment has finished or whether there are still treatment options to explore. Are you aware? If there is hope in further treatment, it may just because matter of showing how many of us on here are battling on through various treatment regimes. Surely, he has not rejected further treatment?
AC

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 22:15
Hi Lyn. Thankfully dad was reffered properly and the nurses have been coming round to the house, they have reffered him on from crisis now to another nurse, I'm not sure of her role. My mum has been given leaflets for care for the carers and she's going to get involved in that. We are fortunate there are other services here but you need refering by gp. I guess its one day at a time at the moment. Thank you for your reply. Best wishes x
User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 22:23
Hi AC, dad's still on the hormones, will be for life I think. He's seeing the oncologist on the 6th of Feb so not sure if or what other treatments lie ahead. Thank you for your concern and reply. Best wishes in your treatment and journey. KC xx