I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Returning to work

User
Posted 28 Jan 2018 at 15:06

Hi 1st post for me after i had my prostate removed by RP just over 2 weeks ago. Recovery is as expected so far with an added complication of Urinary Tract Infection for which I am now on antibiotics. I am using pads for my incontinence. I feel tried most afternoons and always fall asleep. Im just looking for a bit of reassurance about how much time off work i need. I drive a HGV and deliver heavy cages to small shops so its a very physical job and i can be driving for about 7 hours a day. Its always an early start (4am) and long days (at least 10 hours). When i told my surgeon he said i need at least 3 to 4 months off work. Reading on this and other forums some men go back after 6 weeks. I get paid in full for 6 months but I am sure i will start to feel guilty for not being in work. Has anyone else been off work for an extended amount of time?

User
Posted 28 Jan 2018 at 19:38

Did you have open surgery or keyhole? The general guide is that some men are ready to go back to work in 6 - 8 weeks if they had keyhole but open surgery is expected to need 12 weeks. You would also need the permission of your comapny insurers - my husband felt he could have worked from about 9 / 10 weeks but he couldn't drive because he had a company car and the company insurer wouldn't cover him until the surgeon confirmed in writing that he was fit to drive. I think HGV driving has its own rules about driving after abdominal surgery? Don't feel guilty - if rushing back sooner led to a vehicle accident you would never forgive yourself.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Jan 2018 at 19:55

mrsnowman, you've had surgery and a UTI so whatever your brain might be telling you, your body is saying

"Come on mate, give us a break!"

Just because others (who may well not have the kind of heavy duty job you have) made it back to work in a few weeks doesn't mean that you should.

Two weeks ago is nothing, especially for a physical job so give yourself some time. If the surgeon told you 3-4 months then that's how you should be thinking too. It's not skiving to take time off sick.

What about a compromise. Tell yourself you'll review your situation in 4 months time and make a decision then. Would it be possible to take on jobs with lighter delivery loads when you do return?

What would be the point of having life saving surgery if you risk the quality of that life by giving yourself a hernia, or worse.

There is no need to feel guilty. You've earned the right to take time off.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 28 Jan 2018 at 20:12
Mrsnowman

Wise words from our ladies as usual.I had RARP, I was a contracts manager and was back behind my desk after 4 weeks and back on the road after a further two weeks. I avoided any lifting and got the guys on site to off load any materials.

Driving up and down the country was tiring and at the first sign of being tired I would pull over for sleep, probably not as easy with the schedule of an HGV driver.

I understand the guilty bit, Lyn makes a very good point about that.

Take it easy but keep active.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 28 Jan 2018 at 20:21
Hi Mrsnowman

Your employer should consult their insurance company and make a decision about your fitness to return to work. This might involve getting a medical opinion from your GP and other health care professionals as you have the manual handling to consider as well as the driving. They have to consider their obligations under Managing Occupational Road Risk. DVSA will expect that if you return to driving LGV/PCV vehicles that you still meet the required medical standards and any condition that causes drowsiness is a no no.

Keep your employer in the loop but you have had major surgery and you need time to recover. Between you and your employer you should be able to work out a return to work plan that suits you both.

Be kind to yourself and don't feel guilty.

All the best

Kevan

Edited by member 28 Jan 2018 at 21:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jan 2018 at 23:42

Hi mrsnowman i had the  op in april 2017 .I am also a hgv tanker driver and i told my boss that i would be off work for at least 4 months and if i still had any side effects it could be longer .If you get 6months sick pay i certainly would not be in a rush to go back enjoy it why you can because you know as soon as you go back you will be hammered straight away .All these company's are the same now a days your just a number ..Ive been in transport all my working life and they are all the same lol......take care buddy ..

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Jan 2018 at 19:38

Did you have open surgery or keyhole? The general guide is that some men are ready to go back to work in 6 - 8 weeks if they had keyhole but open surgery is expected to need 12 weeks. You would also need the permission of your comapny insurers - my husband felt he could have worked from about 9 / 10 weeks but he couldn't drive because he had a company car and the company insurer wouldn't cover him until the surgeon confirmed in writing that he was fit to drive. I think HGV driving has its own rules about driving after abdominal surgery? Don't feel guilty - if rushing back sooner led to a vehicle accident you would never forgive yourself.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Jan 2018 at 19:55

mrsnowman, you've had surgery and a UTI so whatever your brain might be telling you, your body is saying

"Come on mate, give us a break!"

Just because others (who may well not have the kind of heavy duty job you have) made it back to work in a few weeks doesn't mean that you should.

Two weeks ago is nothing, especially for a physical job so give yourself some time. If the surgeon told you 3-4 months then that's how you should be thinking too. It's not skiving to take time off sick.

What about a compromise. Tell yourself you'll review your situation in 4 months time and make a decision then. Would it be possible to take on jobs with lighter delivery loads when you do return?

What would be the point of having life saving surgery if you risk the quality of that life by giving yourself a hernia, or worse.

There is no need to feel guilty. You've earned the right to take time off.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 28 Jan 2018 at 20:12
Mrsnowman

Wise words from our ladies as usual.I had RARP, I was a contracts manager and was back behind my desk after 4 weeks and back on the road after a further two weeks. I avoided any lifting and got the guys on site to off load any materials.

Driving up and down the country was tiring and at the first sign of being tired I would pull over for sleep, probably not as easy with the schedule of an HGV driver.

I understand the guilty bit, Lyn makes a very good point about that.

Take it easy but keep active.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 28 Jan 2018 at 20:21
Hi Mrsnowman

Your employer should consult their insurance company and make a decision about your fitness to return to work. This might involve getting a medical opinion from your GP and other health care professionals as you have the manual handling to consider as well as the driving. They have to consider their obligations under Managing Occupational Road Risk. DVSA will expect that if you return to driving LGV/PCV vehicles that you still meet the required medical standards and any condition that causes drowsiness is a no no.

Keep your employer in the loop but you have had major surgery and you need time to recover. Between you and your employer you should be able to work out a return to work plan that suits you both.

Be kind to yourself and don't feel guilty.

All the best

Kevan

Edited by member 28 Jan 2018 at 21:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jan 2018 at 20:24

Thanks for all your replies I'm feeling less guilty now and i need to look after myself rather than going back too early  I had keyhole surgery Lyn. As its not the most enjoyable job I am quite enjoying the time off.

Thanks again

Carl

User
Posted 30 Jan 2018 at 23:42

Hi mrsnowman i had the  op in april 2017 .I am also a hgv tanker driver and i told my boss that i would be off work for at least 4 months and if i still had any side effects it could be longer .If you get 6months sick pay i certainly would not be in a rush to go back enjoy it why you can because you know as soon as you go back you will be hammered straight away .All these company's are the same now a days your just a number ..Ive been in transport all my working life and they are all the same lol......take care buddy ..