Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Chemo taste/smell

User
Posted 03 Feb 2018 at 22:30
Hi all.

Has anyone any tips on what can be done to reduce the metallic taste/smell during chemo.

Started chemo last Tuesday and have now developed a vile taste/smell and it ain't good.

Cheers

Sandy

User
Posted 04 Feb 2018 at 11:37

I got some great advice on here to freeze pineapple chunks and suck them during chemo.......it worked for me.

Shaun

User
Posted 06 Feb 2018 at 18:45

I puréed fresh pineapple then froze that. It helped but never got rid of it. I found that it more or less disappeared towards the end of each cycle only get a taste like I had a mouthful of tinfoil not long after the next session.

Good luck

Dave

Edited by member 06 Feb 2018 at 18:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Feb 2018 at 19:41

Hi mate ,just finished my 10th infusion of chemo and i sucked on ice pops while i was having treatment for the first 8 goes and i never had a bad taste or mouth ulcer in sight ....I didn't bother for the last two just to see if there was any difference,ten days after my last infusion and i have still got a horrible taste in my mouth and i feel sick after eating due to the funny taste and texture of my food .. So if i ever have to under go chemo again i would definitely suck on ice pops ps i used to take mine in a large thermos flask to keep them frozen .....Hope this helps and all the best with the rest of your treatment.       

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Feb 2018 at 08:59

The problem we found with our grandson was that he didn't want to eat because of the taste, and it's at a time when he most needed to keep his strength up.

I don't think we ever got past that taste.

He did drink a lot of cola as it was about the only thing he could manage. He had the full sugar version too as he had to have what seemed to me, to be a massive amount of calories.

Unfortunately, that amount of cola for such a long period played havoc with his teeth, so another bridge for him to cross, and he ended up with veneers

Frozen sticks of pineapple ? Then you have to be careful that too much acidic stuff doesn't cause or exacerbate mouth ulcers (and he got those too)

I am only answering really (as I realise that I'm not being particularly helpful - sorry about that) in the hope that it bumps you and somebody else will give you their tips

Good luck Sandy

Edited by member 04 Feb 2018 at 09:00  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 04 Feb 2018 at 09:32
Thanks Johsan.

I appreciate your reply.

Its just is so weird with the tastes/smells.

Cheers

User
Posted 04 Feb 2018 at 11:37

I got some great advice on here to freeze pineapple chunks and suck them during chemo.......it worked for me.

Shaun

User
Posted 06 Feb 2018 at 18:45

I puréed fresh pineapple then froze that. It helped but never got rid of it. I found that it more or less disappeared towards the end of each cycle only get a taste like I had a mouthful of tinfoil not long after the next session.

Good luck

Dave

Edited by member 06 Feb 2018 at 18:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Feb 2018 at 19:41

Hi mate ,just finished my 10th infusion of chemo and i sucked on ice pops while i was having treatment for the first 8 goes and i never had a bad taste or mouth ulcer in sight ....I didn't bother for the last two just to see if there was any difference,ten days after my last infusion and i have still got a horrible taste in my mouth and i feel sick after eating due to the funny taste and texture of my food .. So if i ever have to under go chemo again i would definitely suck on ice pops ps i used to take mine in a large thermos flask to keep them frozen .....Hope this helps and all the best with the rest of your treatment.