I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

No life

User
Posted 22 Feb 2018 at 20:39
Is anyone in this group communication problems with their partner. My partner had his prostate removed January 2017 and we didn’t have a discussion about his decision he then went on to have radiotherapy and just after this he had herna operation. His psa continued to rise he then started hormone injections January 2018 he now has mood swings and his quite nasty . In about 3 weeks time he will start chemotherapy. I am starting to feel like walking away from my life . I have contacted relate but he doesn’t seen that interested shall I just walk away . We have been together for 44 years
User
Posted 23 Feb 2018 at 09:20

Ah Rose, welcome to the site that I'm sure you do not want to be a member of.

After 44 years, could you really walk away? (unless they haven't all been good years of course and only you know that)

A lot of men find it difficult to discuss their PC. Something else like heart attack or lung cancer etc doesn't get to the core of a man like PC does because it attacks the very things that make him a man and all he sees is his loss of identity.

No matter how many of us wives will tell them we love them because they are who they are, not because of what they can give us in the way of intimacy, we cannot truly understand it from their point of view.
We take the attitude that they are lucky to be alive. For some men they don't see it as life because it isn't complete anymore and they are only half a man.
Women, I think , are probably more practical.

However, that isn't helping you at the moment is it. I have to say that although I do not have experience of the after effects of hormone injections there are quite a few on here who do and the one thing that comes across is the mood swings as a result.

The tears, the nastiness, is all part of the Hormone therapy. Perhaps if you tell yourself that and don't take his nastiness personally it might help you cope with it a bit better.

The way he is at present, you're damned if you show an interest and your damned if you don't. A bit like dealing with a sulky teenager who also can't control his/her hormones .

Only you know what he was like before his diagnosis and what your marriage was like but if this PC has caused him to change for the worse, would you really want to chuck away 44 years?

I hope somebody else will be along to give their take on your situation but you are asking for answers to questions that we cannot possibly know the answer to because only you are living your life.

I know he won't be easy to talk to at present,but have you explained to him exactly how his attitude is affecting you? Two walls of silence are no good since there isn't any conversation to break them down.

Best Wishes
Sandra

(PS I've been married to my husband for 47+  years and have had a few bumps along the way in that time so I know life isn't always rosy)

Edited by member 23 Feb 2018 at 09:22  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 23 Feb 2018 at 17:55

Rose, the mood swings will abate as his body adjusts to the testosterone coming out of his system.

If you have been together for 44 years you must have had ups and downs before. They pass. He needs you now and you would have years of regrets if you didn't support him in his time of need, even if he is reluctant to see that he has that need. Please crown your 44 years of togetherness with a few months of close support to see him through this difficult period. I'm sure that after a tough period smoother times will come. Your new gentler man will emerge as the testosterone recedes. Enjoy it!

AC

User
Posted 23 Feb 2018 at 18:44

Unless of course he is abusive. A cancer diagnosis is traumatic and the hormones can change someone's personality but nothing excuses domestic violence, manipulative or abusive behaviour. As Johsan said, only you can judge how serious the problem is but we have had members in the past who made a decision to leave because their already abusive relationship became worse after diagnosis.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Feb 2018 at 21:13

Hang on in there girl, he is in trouble
Barry

User
Posted 24 Feb 2018 at 12:52
Hi Rose.

Apart from relate have you discussed your feelings with family/friends? Does he treat them the same or is it just directed at you. Only you know what his personality was like before his diagnosis and how close your relationship was.

Is he really a " changed" man or has his behaviour towards you just worsened?

Both your world's will have been turned upside down by this disease but the only way forward to help each other is to be able to communicate. Can you really not sit down with him and explain how you feel and also listen to his concerns.

If you think he is perhaps suffering from depression could you maybe go to see the GP with him. Do you go to see the consultant etc with him?

Take care and try to stay strong. Best wishes for the future. I really hope you can find a way to support each other.

Ann

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 19:19

Hi Rose sam, re your post on another thread - I / we can't help you to decide whether or not it is okay to leave but if you are deeply unhappy or at risk, then you should not allow his illness to be the only reason you stay.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 23:29
I feel so sad for both of you, 44 years is a very long time, but I guess quality of relationship rather than length of time is always more important

If you don’t communicate and have that kind of intimacy/support then it sounds hard to progress through this traumatic time together as a couple - rather than 2 individuals experiencing their own difficulties

But your post here is a warning to us guys going through this to not sink into it as a painful personal experience but to keep those close ones around us very much in mind

Ps

There is also another explanation for his seeming isolation - he might be pushing you away - but of course I don’t know anything about your circumstances

User
Posted 08 Mar 2018 at 23:14

So sorry to read this thread, but I have an understanding of what it may be like, sadly.

Maybe, just maybe, a relationship that exists and endures because of pity or guilt is not worthy?

My view on being "involved" or not, is that I'd rather be miserable alone than miserable with another.

At least I would only have myself to blame.

Think well, then make your best choice for you.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.