Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hormone Therapy - Degarelix v Decapeptyl - Hormone Therapy

User
Posted 25 Feb 2018 at 14:25

Hi All

I started on Degarelix December 17. Normal protocol here is 3 x monthly injections, then Decapeptyl every 3 or 6 months. From what I can pick up, both are equally effective as testosterone blockers. I'm halfway through my 6X Docetaxel chemo and nervous about changing because of a couple of factors and wonder if anyone has advice.

When I presented I had constant lower back pain, and a stiff neck which meant I could not reverse the car out the drive properly. Turns out the cancer had spread up the spine to my skull. I had pain killers, neoproxine and to counterbalance the gastro effects Omeprazole, but after a week or so on the HT they were no longer needed. I also had severe and consistant night sweats since the October that disappeared and a persistant, dry irratable cough I'd had for a couple of years that went as well. The Degarelix is the only GnRH blocker, or LHRH antiagonist that stands apart from LHRH agonists like Decapeptyl. There's the obvious benefit of changing - having an injection every 6 months instead of every month; but I'm worried my old symptoms may come back.

There's also a NICE report from 2016 that says a for a few sub-groups, including people with spinal metastases that are in danger of spinal cord compression, it may be best to stay on the Degarelix as it appears to offer long-term clinical benefit, which is particularly important for people with advanced disease.

I am now pain free and have recovered mobility, I worry that compression could occur. I feel my spine is giving me a warning any time I lift anything mildly heavy. It's only natural I want to minimise potential fracture or compression, or improve overall survival. Anyone been in this situation? Thanks.

User
Posted 25 Feb 2018 at 19:35

I don't think this is a common treatment protocol - most oncos put men on a hormone and then stick with it until it stops working. All I can suggest is that you discuss it with your oncologist.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard