Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bill Turnbull

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 14:32

Sad to see that Bill Turnbull the ex newsreader for the BBC has joined our club

It was encouraging to see how positive he is being about it.

According to the media he has had a kidney operation, hormone treatment and chemo

as it has spread to his bones.

The medics have given him a prognosis of 10 - 18 years

Lovely guy, hope he gets a good few years.

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 22:29

Optimistic certainly, but maybe not completely unrealistic. In 2016 clinicians and scientists from the Royal Marsden/ICR published a review of progress in PC, in which they noted that patients with the most advanced form of the disease "are now regularly living more than 5-10 years". Good luck to Mr Turnbull and everyone else in this position - good luck and lots of science!

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 14:32

Sad to see that Bill Turnbull the ex newsreader for the BBC has joined our club

It was encouraging to see how positive he is being about it.

According to the media he has had a kidney operation, hormone treatment and chemo

as it has spread to his bones.

The medics have given him a prognosis of 10 - 18 years

Lovely guy, hope he gets a good few years.

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 17:43

Yes we saw that on the news too and he is very positive.

What with Bill and Stephen Fry both opening up about their personal stories perhaps it will make some men stop and think.

Let's hope so anyway

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 18:11
I was so sorry to hear about this. I have always liked Bill. I think he is very much in the mould of what you see is what you get. Lovely man. Hope he gets many more years of good quality life.
User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 22:00
I was interviewed about this this morning by The Telegraph. Will be an article online tonight and in the paper tomorrow
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 17:43

Yes we saw that on the news too and he is very positive.

What with Bill and Stephen Fry both opening up about their personal stories perhaps it will make some men stop and think.

Let's hope so anyway

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 18:11
I was so sorry to hear about this. I have always liked Bill. I think he is very much in the mould of what you see is what you get. Lovely man. Hope he gets many more years of good quality life.
User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 18:49
I was also sorry to see Bill had been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer.

He seems like a genuine, lovely family man.

Hope he has many years left.

Ido4

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 19:13

I don't watch TV so I don't know who he is but I suspect that he is speaking rather optimistically for the sake of his family. If his kidney function is already so implicated that surgery has been needed, then it was a very late diagnosis and we haven't yet had anyone on here survive 18 years with such extensive mets.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 20:18

Sadly I think the prognosis is very over optimistic. Very sad for him and his family but it's always good to see someone in the public being open about their diagnosis as it will really help with awareness.

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 21:17
I too was sad to hear about Bill’s diagnosis and wish him the very best but I was confused by the 10-18 years. I wondered initially if it was a mistake and it meant to read months but I’ve looked at lots of different news sites and years is mentioned which of course would be absolutely wonderful and amazing and let’s hope he does go on for a long time yet. But he has similar spread to my Dad (although I totally appreciate everyone is very different) and we were told months but possibly longer with chemo holding it back. I am encouraged by how much press and attention PC is getting at the moment. PenP.
User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 21:35

Stand up 2 cancer bake off edition special interview with Bill was very emotional..........

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 22:00
I was interviewed about this this morning by The Telegraph. Will be an article online tonight and in the paper tomorrow
User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 22:29

Optimistic certainly, but maybe not completely unrealistic. In 2016 clinicians and scientists from the Royal Marsden/ICR published a review of progress in PC, in which they noted that patients with the most advanced form of the disease "are now regularly living more than 5-10 years". Good luck to Mr Turnbull and everyone else in this position - good luck and lots of science!

User
Posted 23 May 2019 at 15:49

You might have seen this:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7061527/Presenter-Bill-Turnbull-says-feels-fantastic-ending-chemotherapy.html

Keep an eye open for the Channel 4 documentary he's making.

User
Posted 23 May 2019 at 15:59

In a talk by PCUK, it was mentioned that the combined effect of Bill and Stephen saw a massive boost in men seeking help and going through diagnosis, and PCUK had difficulty dealing with the sudden massive increase in workload.

Someone with a 5-10 year prognosis with the treatments available today might reasonably expect some improved treatments to become available in that time which might extend it at least a bit.