I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried about my Grandad

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 15:39
Hi all, I’m really new to this so do excuse me. My Grandad was a fit and healthy 71 year old who unfortunalty had an arteial bleed in January 16. All repaired with surgery and he went back to work. Regular blood tests were carried out due to significant loss of blood and regular monitoring was needed. Unfortunalty at one appointment prostate cancer was detected in September 2017. It was advanced prostate cancer which was confined just to the prostate - all scans and tests carried out. Do excuse me but I think his Gleason score was 9. He underwent surgery to remove his prostate. But then at his 6 week check up, I do believe, the surgeon expressed that the cancer had ‘burst’ out of the prostate and he would require further treatment starting with radiotherapy. His PSA level at 0.31. A letter has come through 4/6 weeks ago for my Grandad to attend the cancer hospital to see a consultant there. In the letter it states he requires radiation on breast tissue (really confused), pelvic walls and another area which I can’t be 100% on. What’s concerning me is the breat tissue does that mean that it has spread there? So sorry for the long message... and thank you in advance.
User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 16:40
That letter is hard to understand! May I suggest you go to the appointment with your Grandad, make sure you ask the consultant to explain anything that's not clear, and take notes ( or even record the meeting with consultant's permission). That way you can go over everything afterwards and post further questions on this forum.

Good luck!

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 16:56

Your grandad is probably on hormone therapy. Some types of that can increase size of breasts.
Radiotherapy to breasts will halt/slow that down.

Ray