I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Psa 8.7

User
Posted 08 Mar 2018 at 14:16
My father is 76 years young, in 2014 he had an ultrasound and it showed an enlarged prostate, PSA was 6.9 following that it was 6.7 then 6.5. He didn’t have one done again until 15/02/18 and it’s now 8.7, dr did a rectal exam and said it’s enlarged (wasn’t with her finger, with something else that took a few seconds) and said if the next psa is high she’s referring him to urology. I’m absolutely petrified that this is going to be prostate cancer. I’m shaking and feel sick.
User
Posted 08 Mar 2018 at 17:16

I don't know WD because I don't have experience of Enlarged Prostate and it isn't always the case that however high the PSA is that it is Prostate cancer.

It's possible to have PC with a PSA as low as 3 and to be the aggressive version too with that low a PSA.

It is also possible to have a higher PSA than your dad and not have PC.

Please take heart from the fact that he has a GP prepared to send him for further testing, although personally if it was my dad or husband I would be trying to get him to get a urology appointment sooner rather than later.

It does surprise me that the GP did not do a finger digital rectal exam but maybe others on here will say they have had what your dad had and that it isn't unusual.

The sooner he gets to see a urologist, the sooner he will know his situation and it will be a shorter worry time for you.

However, if dad is fairly laid back about it and prepared to wait for the GP to refer him, I'm not sure what you can do about it.

Edited by member 08 Mar 2018 at 17:17  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 08 Mar 2018 at 17:17

No the increase is fairly steady and if his prostate is noticeably enlarged then the PSA is probably not worrying. If the GP suspected prostate cancer he would have referred your dad now rather than wait another 3 months.

The DRE is done by feeling the prostate with a finger but perhaps your dad felt embarrassed to say that to you, or perhaps the doctor was doing something else like having a look inside his bowel?

It is also worth noting that 70% of men in their 70s have some cancer in their prostate but most never know and it causes them no problems. In the circumstances, it is a bit of a waste of time and energy panicking and being upset about something that might never happen.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Mar 2018 at 15:05

Hello Worrieddaughter and welcome to the site.

I assume dad had urinary problems with the enlarged prostate?

Has there been a worsening there?

Was dad checked for a urine infection?

I always thought the rectal exam was the finger, presumably because it is sensitive enough to feel changes in the prostate ie hard/soft/lumpy and can only assume that what was used was a scope of some sort.

How long does your dad have to wait for the next PSA test and is he concerned about the increase?

So many questions - sorry about that.

There is no point in pre-empting the results. You will only make yourself ill and that means you'll be no help to your dad at all if he does indeed have cancer.
You already know that he has an enlarged prostate and PSA can certainly rise with that.

Take a big calming breath and tell yourself the time to worry is when you know there is something to worry about.

IF dad has to be referred on because of a further increase then please come back and ask advice on what he could ask when he sees the urologist.

Try and relax in the meantime. I know that isn't easy, especially if you are normally an anxious person.

Best Wishes

Sandra

Edited by member 08 Mar 2018 at 15:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Mar 2018 at 16:53
Thank you very much.

The only symptom is slow starting and he would get up during the night to pee which has actually improved through limiting tea before bedtime.

Does the jump between 6.9 and 8.7 in four years seem like a large jump to you?

Many thanks

User
Posted 08 Mar 2018 at 17:16

I don't know WD because I don't have experience of Enlarged Prostate and it isn't always the case that however high the PSA is that it is Prostate cancer.

It's possible to have PC with a PSA as low as 3 and to be the aggressive version too with that low a PSA.

It is also possible to have a higher PSA than your dad and not have PC.

Please take heart from the fact that he has a GP prepared to send him for further testing, although personally if it was my dad or husband I would be trying to get him to get a urology appointment sooner rather than later.

It does surprise me that the GP did not do a finger digital rectal exam but maybe others on here will say they have had what your dad had and that it isn't unusual.

The sooner he gets to see a urologist, the sooner he will know his situation and it will be a shorter worry time for you.

However, if dad is fairly laid back about it and prepared to wait for the GP to refer him, I'm not sure what you can do about it.

Edited by member 08 Mar 2018 at 17:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Mar 2018 at 17:17

No the increase is fairly steady and if his prostate is noticeably enlarged then the PSA is probably not worrying. If the GP suspected prostate cancer he would have referred your dad now rather than wait another 3 months.

The DRE is done by feeling the prostate with a finger but perhaps your dad felt embarrassed to say that to you, or perhaps the doctor was doing something else like having a look inside his bowel?

It is also worth noting that 70% of men in their 70s have some cancer in their prostate but most never know and it causes them no problems. In the circumstances, it is a bit of a waste of time and energy panicking and being upset about something that might never happen.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Mar 2018 at 17:30
Thank you so much.

I definitely need to calm down and take in the facts instead of jumping to the very worst conclusion and I should be glad that Daddy is as fit and healthy as he is for his ages.

I’d love a benign diagnosis but then again so would everyone!

They took his blood today for another PSA so I guess we will find out their plan of action based on that in a few days x