Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Needing the loo

User
Posted 09 Mar 2018 at 21:07
Hi all,

My dad's just finished his first round of chemo this week and seems to be coping well. I just have a question, he keeps wakening in the night to go to the bathroom which is hindering his sleep. Does this improve at all as the treatment continues? Will it ever be less of a problem? In my head the prostate will shrink with treatment and stop this from being as much of an issue. Can anyone who has had chemo for stage 4 advanced prostate cancer inform me if this is right or if it's just something he will have to live with now.

Thanks

Miffy
User
Posted 09 Mar 2018 at 23:16

Me again,

I was up in the night countless times before treatment started with very poor flow and difficulty getting started. You are right, the HT should start to shrink the tumour in the prostate making things easier. This doesn’t happen straightaway but should improve. I have it in my notes when things started to get better with me but don’t have them to hand, but it wasn’t too far down the line. I have no issues now and haven’t for sometime. I am taking Tamsolusin to help as well. Has your dad been prescribed that?

Dave

Edited by member 09 Mar 2018 at 23:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Mar 2018 at 00:16
Hi Dave,

That's good to know hopefully he gets some relief soon. No he hasn't been prescribed anything for that but he hasn't complained of it to the doctor as far as I'm aware. I'll get him to mention it the next time he's in. On another note though the doc started him on a low dose of citalopram when he was in the other day to help with his worry and anxiety. He's gone from a man who only took an aspirin at night to taking countless tablets throughout the course of the day! But needs must.

Miffy
User
Posted 10 Mar 2018 at 09:29

Good that your dad is getting something for the anxiety. The low dose is usually for a few weeks then if he toterates that ok the doc should bump it up. The effect is a gradual one so he won’t notice a difference straight off. As for all the tablets he has to take - The way I feel about that is if someone has a physical or mental condition that seriously impacts on their quality of life and who they are then they should be getting whatever treatment they need to help. So as you say - needs must.

On a lighter note. Does he not get a bit of a lift due to the daily steroids that go with the chemotherapy? Some days I was literally bouncing...thought my poor wife would get driven nuts! 😆

User
Posted 10 Mar 2018 at 10:30
Now that you mention it on the day of chemo he was on another planet! He was having great banter with us and the nurses and there I was thinking he might be in the depths of depression. I put it down to nerves, never knew steroids could have that effect. Not a bad thing!
Miffy