Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Clothing to wear for prostate radiation therapy

User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 03:21

Hi Guys,

This IS a weird question.  But, I need to ask all the same.  I will be commencing radiation therapy for the prostate in about 6 days and was just informed yesterday that I would have to be in the nude on the table for the sessions (30+).  I had expected to be wearing a gown or at the very least my underwear.  Is this normal or is it weird ??  

My question is dead serious.  I could still go through the sessions but frankly I would be terribly embarrassed.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much.

Agnostic. 

User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 18:52

Well, it’s not like I’m going to get n erection!!!

User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 17:33
When I had mine done it was the same as Kayaker Bill. When called through to the treatment room it was trousers, shoes and socks off, -lie on the bed and then the nurse just adjusted underpants to clear the area they needed exposed. Having had RALP it didn't take much to protect my modesty😊
User
Posted 08 Jun 2018 at 09:38

No robe for me, just wore jogging bottoms, pulled them down 6 inches with underpants, pulled jumper and shirt up 6 inches. No flashing! Nurse covered the lower half with paper towel, then bob's your uncle. The nurses were all younger than me (and much more attractive), so why would they be interested in an old bloke like me😀😕?

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 09:17

agnostic,when i had rt just remove bottom half and put a gown round bottom half,bit embarrasing at first,but radiotherapist nurses seen it all before its ok.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 09:32
Agnostic

I can only speak from my own experience of SRT last year. I certainly kept all my clothes on, the only things I took off were my shoes and watch. At the planning meeting I had three small dots tattooed on to my body. One on each leg around the hip area and one on my abdomen area.

Once on the bed I would partly pull down my trousers and under pants with out exposing my bits. The staff then lined me and my tattoos up with a laser line that is projected onto the body.

My experience and opinion is that the NHS take patients modesty very seriously. I once even had a urethral Catheter removed without removing my underwear.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

Added. Just looked at your profile are you being treated in India or the UK.

Edited by member 13 Mar 2018 at 18:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 10:27

When John had It, the patient went into a changing cubicle to put on a cotton gown and then through the other door into the RT suite. The gown was undone once he was on the bed so that he was lying naked with the gown under him. When the few minutes was up, he went back into the cubicle, put his clothes on and then out into the waiting area.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 14:59
I’m 18 sessions into 33 of Salvage radiation therapy

How it works on my area is I go in, take of trousers and socks and top leaving a t shirt on

Then I lie down and they pull my pants down to the top of my penis, I’m never nude or fully exposed. As long as they are exposing the 3 small tattoos there is no need

So they are taking care of my modesty very well

User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 17:33
When I had mine done it was the same as Kayaker Bill. When called through to the treatment room it was trousers, shoes and socks off, -lie on the bed and then the nurse just adjusted underpants to clear the area they needed exposed. Having had RALP it didn't take much to protect my modesty😊
User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 18:52

User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 20:12

ha ha good that rich.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 20:12

Well clearly they have to see your tattoos. Would these still show if you wore briefs? I had no shirt but wore normal pants as I had no body tattoos, all alignment marks being on the casing of the immobilization body mold into which I was strapped for every fraction but I don't think this is done in the UK.

Barry
User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 22:34
Sometimes I was told to keep my shirtt/top on and always my pants, other times i wore a gown and still kept my pants on.

The radiographer then lowered my pants a littlle then tucked blue paper towel in the top.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 23:36
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Well, this is a real worry for me actually, it’s an all female team and having them fiddle with my public area does create an embarrassing stir down there

But they are very professional and have seen it all before

User
Posted 07 Jun 2018 at 17:51

At my local centre. They just wanted me to take off my trousers. Gave me a gown. As others have said. Just lowering your pants far enough to expose the 3 dots. Then tucked in a paper sheet into the top of your pants.They spend a lot of time lining you up.  I guess they want as much flesh as possible on the bed.  So nothing alters your position 

User
Posted 07 Jun 2018 at 18:29
yes lyn,st jameses through 1 door gown for bottom half ,then through to rt, when i first saw the machine thought i was in dr who studio,but nurses soon put you at rest,they ran out of room shouting keep still michael,next minute they come walking back in i said is that it all good.
User
Posted 07 Jun 2018 at 18:38

I leave a tee shirt and socks on and wear my own bathrobe from home.  When in the treatment room, the bathrobe is strategically placed to cover my manhood. 

Ulsterman

User
Posted 08 Jun 2018 at 09:38

No robe for me, just wore jogging bottoms, pulled them down 6 inches with underpants, pulled jumper and shirt up 6 inches. No flashing! Nurse covered the lower half with paper towel, then bob's your uncle. The nurses were all younger than me (and much more attractive), so why would they be interested in an old bloke like me😀😕?