I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Groucho sums it up perfectly

User
Posted 15 Mar 2018 at 11:32
I’m going to Iowa to collect an award. Then I’m appearing at Carnegie Hall, it’s sold out.

Then I’m sailing to France to pick up an honour from the French government. I’d give it all up for one erection.

– Groucho Marx

SE’s are all too often dismissed not just by friends and family but by the medics also. I hate it when I see statements like “You won’t get a hard on in the grave yard” or “It’s much better than the alternative”

There should be more focus given to the rehabilitation and/or coping with the SE’s and probably a little more counselling before making the decision that effectively leaves men impotent

There’s a lot to be said for quality of life

Bri

User
Posted 16 Mar 2018 at 07:15

Not my intention to ever hurt anyone with my comments. I do support not hurt mostly I hope. I simply meant there is a lot of stuff out there now to achieve an erection , and a vacuum pump is near faultless. Anyway no harm meant to anyone purposefully. I should choose my words more carefully. And yes I’m terrified of a second loss of EF and personally see it as a double curse in this battle

User
Posted 15 Mar 2018 at 11:32
I’m going to Iowa to collect an award. Then I’m appearing at Carnegie Hall, it’s sold out.

Then I’m sailing to France to pick up an honour from the French government. I’d give it all up for one erection.

– Groucho Marx

SE’s are all too often dismissed not just by friends and family but by the medics also. I hate it when I see statements like “You won’t get a hard on in the grave yard” or “It’s much better than the alternative”

There should be more focus given to the rehabilitation and/or coping with the SE’s and probably a little more counselling before making the decision that effectively leaves men impotent

There’s a lot to be said for quality of life

Bri

User
Posted 15 Mar 2018 at 22:08

Hi Bri,

Such an important post .. thank you

User
Posted 17 Mar 2018 at 11:05

Hi Chris,

I read your words of "near enough" to mean "most men" or "a lot of men".

Trouble with the written word, it can be taken out of it's intended context. Easy to see how the misunderstanding arose.

I hope that you are doing "as well as" these days.

You have always been so supportive and helpful to so many here and elsewhere, including those more fortunate than you.

atb to you and your family

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Mar 2018 at 19:23

agreed.

dave

Edited by member 15 Mar 2018 at 19:26  | Reason: Not specified

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 15 Mar 2018 at 20:25

Not like you Bri ??? Hope you ok.
You and I both know there is more than enough info on these pages to allow any man near enough to get a useable erection. Not the norm maybe but at least something ! Keep strong. But I agree with you entirely. You’re virtually a cured man yet you have to live with this s**t.
I’m not cured but got my erection back at least after over two years. However seems like I’m going to have it taken off me again which is even worse.

User
Posted 15 Mar 2018 at 20:36
ED, penile shrinkage, dry orgasms, incontinence, man boobs, loss of body hair, sticking an injection in one's penis and I'm sure others could list other side effects.

Yes, I'm glad to be alive, but the side effects hit us where it hurts - our masculinity.

And I'm tired being told that prostate cancer is a good one to get. OK, I know what people mean. But there is no such thing as a good cancer and this one affects us and our partners.

Moan over, but doctors do need to put more thought into the above.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 15 Mar 2018 at 20:59

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

You and I both know there is more than enough info on these pages to allow any man near enough to get a useable erection. 

Unfair CJ - there are lots of men who never get an erection again - regardless of treatments, potions, pumps or anything else. You are forgetting that not everyone is as fortunate as you. Not sure that everyone would share your view that it is worse to regain erections and then lose them again either :-/ 

I suspect a couple of the people I support off-line will be very hurt at your comments - you are almost implying that some men just don't try hard enough???? 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 15 Mar 2018 at 21:04
Hello folks,

When I look back to my diagnosis and our subsequent decision to opt for RP, I don't think we were fully aware of the impact of the side effects, especially ED and the mental anguish that can follow. The whirlwind of post diagnosis thoughts and decisions ,and the common " get that cancer out of me" takes over many of us at that particular time. I know what you mean about the sometimes inane remarks that people make but I just put it down to the fact that don't really know what to say for the best.

Paul.

User
Posted 15 Mar 2018 at 21:56
Cancer is a cruel disease whatever form it takes

I hate the fact that I got cancer at 45, got an operation to remove it, was very lucky to be totally continent and regained sexual function fairly quickly and completely

Then 2 and a half years later, just when I thought I’d dodged my meeting with the Grim Reaper - up he pops again and I’m back on the cancer treatment phase of HT & RT with the prospect of side effects again and also the possibility that RT might not be getting the cancer cells at all

Crap scenario, but not as bad as some, and not as bad as say kids getting leukaemia. It’s life, my life and it sucks, but I can only try and stay positive whatever the future brings

User
Posted 15 Mar 2018 at 21:59
Hi Bri,

This is very true. It's such an important part of life.

I've been blessed with my "equipment" working perfectly since I ended my HT treatment last year. It's been great. Unfortunately, my fun looks as though it might short lived. My PSA is on the rise, doubling in less than 3 months and the oncologist she she would put me on HT again if it continued.

I really fear the idea of loosing my ability again, knowing it will be for life this time. It's an awful thought.

Steve

User

Hi Bri,

Such an important post .. thank you

User
I think any type of cancer diagnosis is a tragedy for the person involved ( and their family) and not just prostate cancer. Think of ladies losing their breasts or female parts, ( how de-feminising is that) not to mention the horrors of childhood cancers. Prostate cancer's side effects are obviously horrible too.

We can only but hope the researchers and doctors one day are able to cure all cancers without side effects. I think the answer may well be in developing Immunotherapy tailored to the individual. They are certainly not resting on their laurels and are doing their best to find answers for us all. Just look at the work done by PCUK for instance.

User
Posted 15 Mar 2018 at 22:22

You and I both know there is more than enough info on these pages to allow any man near enough to get a useable erection. 

Unfair CJ - there are lots of men who never get an erection again - regardless of treatments, potions, pumps or anything else. You are forgetting that not everyone is as fortunate as you. Not sure that everyone would share your view that it is worse to regain erections and then lose them again either :-/ 

I suspect a couple of the people I support off-line will be very hurt at your comments - you are almost implying that some men just don't try hard enough???? 

Thanks for this comment Lyn

User
Posted 16 Mar 2018 at 07:15

Not my intention to ever hurt anyone with my comments. I do support not hurt mostly I hope. I simply meant there is a lot of stuff out there now to achieve an erection , and a vacuum pump is near faultless. Anyway no harm meant to anyone purposefully. I should choose my words more carefully. And yes I’m terrified of a second loss of EF and personally see it as a double curse in this battle

User
Posted 17 Mar 2018 at 11:05

Hi Chris,

I read your words of "near enough" to mean "most men" or "a lot of men".

Trouble with the written word, it can be taken out of it's intended context. Easy to see how the misunderstanding arose.

I hope that you are doing "as well as" these days.

You have always been so supportive and helpful to so many here and elsewhere, including those more fortunate than you.

atb to you and your family

dave

I am the statistic.