I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Taking Supplements when having SRT

User
Posted 18 Mar 2018 at 00:40

I appreciate that I will need to take my own decision but I would be interested in any views as to whether it is beneficial or not to continue to take supplements when going through salvage radiation?  I gather there are two school of thoughts. One is that antioxidants can act to make radiotherapy less effective while the other school of thought suggests that taking Curcumin for example can enhance the impact of radiation on cancer cells and offer some protection for healthy cells. I suspect there is no real evidence either way and if so the safer option would be to discontinue during the treatment. I would be interested in any thoughts.

User
Posted 18 Mar 2018 at 11:52

I think that it is essential to discuss the specific supplements with your radiotherapy team - some things are absolute no-nos which are known to inhibit radiotherapy while others will be left up to your own preference.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Mar 2018 at 23:02

Thanks Lyn I am doing this. So far they have just asked me to drop the lot without giving a rationale. I understand that some should be dropped but the evidence for others doesn't seem to be there.

User
Posted 22 Mar 2018 at 18:20
Since my RP operation I was taking

Pomi-T

Lycopene

Matcha Tea and green tea

Pom juice

Didn’t stop the cancer recurring towards he second half of last year so I’ve since stopped wasting my money, plus I’m having SRT anyway

User
Posted 22 Mar 2018 at 18:56

Could be one of those things that work better for some than others but lack of proper trials (which would be difficult to organise) - no incentive for pharma and men not disposed to non medical treatment - the advantage of supplements remain uncertain for PCa.

One also has to consider that some men have deficiencies with which supplements  might help, whereas it is possible to have 'too much of a good thing' whereby it could do more harm than good.

Edited by member 22 Mar 2018 at 19:04  | Reason: Not specified

Barry