I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Devasted

User
Posted 18 Mar 2018 at 07:08
My dad has been diagnosed with PC he has a gleeson score of 7 and PSA 10 but he told me itbis localised and hasn't spread after having a biopsy and MRI but has been referred for a bone scan so I am worried he is lying to protect me as if it hasn't spread why would he be having a bone scan it doesn't make sense?
User
Posted 18 Mar 2018 at 09:53

A bone scan is actually quite standard at the beginning of diagnosis so please try not to worry. I don’t believe he is lying to you at all. His scores do indicate a cancer that will be possible to be cured if treated early. Good luck

User
Posted 18 Mar 2018 at 09:57

Sorry also forgot to say that a bone scan helps treatment choice for the professionals. If bone spread is found then he won’t be offered surgery normally. If the scan is clear , then they know for sure he is possibly curable and can offer many different treatment scenarios depending on his health. The bone scan is just to assure them of no spread ok

User
Posted 18 Mar 2018 at 10:32

Agree with Chris. It will be part of the normal process. Once they have the results which will hopefully be clear they will discuss treatment options

Bri

User
Posted 18 Mar 2018 at 12:05
This was standard procedure at the hospital where I was treated as well so I wouldn't read anymore into it than that they simply want to see if there is any indication that there is any spread to the bones.

As Chris says, once they have all the results they can plan a course of action.
User
Posted 18 Mar 2018 at 15:20

It 's a rather complicated process but although cancer may ostensibly be contained within the Prostate, some cancer cells can find their way elsewhere via blood and the lymphatic system, so the addition of a bone scan is often done depending on PSA and other indicators. It does not necessarily mean that cancer is suspected in the bones.

Edited by member 18 Mar 2018 at 15:22  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 18 Mar 2018 at 17:12

Hi Mack,

Your Dad's diagnosis is almost identical to mine, Gleason 7, PSA 9.6 this time last year. 

I was given a bone scan too, which was clear. The Consultant, in the report wrote.., "bone scan clear, as would be expected at this (PSA) level."

Diagnosis is always a shock and stressful, but it would be unlikely to have spread to the bones at this low PSA.

1 year post diagnosis and treatment, RT and HT, my PSA is rock bottom and life is back to normal.

User
Posted 18 Mar 2018 at 22:25

Hi,

I had a bone scan before positive diagnosis of PCa. After DRE but before biopsy.

User
Posted 19 Mar 2018 at 08:50

I am Gleason 7 (4+3) and PSA 12 (at least last October I was) and was sent for a bone scan which has come back clear.

The medics seem to deem it necessary to include a bone scan for people with a PSA around ten or more so I would say it's quite normal. It's also been the last procedure done before I now proceed with treatment. 

User
Posted 19 Mar 2018 at 13:55

I am in a very similar situation to your Dad, in that I have intermediate grade cancer, and I was sent for a bone scan which has just come back today clear. Thankfully.

This grade of cancer is very “curable” and could be much, much, worse as others here will testify.

Edited by member 19 Mar 2018 at 13:56  | Reason: Not specified