I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad with prostate problems

User
Posted 19 Mar 2018 at 21:38
My Dad is 80yrs old and has been really unwell for the last 6 weeks - he has been sen by a consultant and has an enlarged prostate blocking his bladder, he went into retention so had to have his bladder drained and now has a catheter. He tells me his PSA is slightly above normal but I’m not sure exactly what it is. He has told me his prostate has been causin him problems for nearly 4yrs but he’s put off having it looked at. He has an MRI booked on Monday and a CT scan next week. He feels awful - very weak and nauseous. I’m so worried about him - he’s a widower so me and my brother are taking him to appointments but he won’t let us go in with him.
User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 07:34

Hello Tinkerbell47 and welcome

Well, your dad is doing what dads often do, protecting his children. Unfortunately, that doesn't help him in the long run because with the best will in the world, when he goes in to those appointments he will not take in everything that is said to him.

We often tell people on here that it's best to have your questions written down and to take notebook and pen for a rough guide,to the answers given. At the very least , a second pair of ears helps.

I am a little puzzled as to how he "knows" his prostate has been causing him problem for nearly 4 years. Has he had urinary problems for all that time and is now assuming that has been his trouble all along or has he had previous investigations and PSA tests.

He will be feeling awful, weak and nauseous just from the fluid retention and possible infection, so don't be thinking too far ahead and assuming that because of the way he currently feels that he must have something sinister wrong with him.

If he eventually gives you any information please feel free to come back and ask for advice. At the moment all you can do is be there and support him as best you can

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails