Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Should i worry?

User
Posted 22 Mar 2018 at 07:10

Hi everyone

My symptoms started 3 weeks ago .... i went to the docs with a complaint of urgency to urinate, she did a dip test and nothing was found and my urine was sent off for tests for uti's (come back clear). 

A week later i went back as symptoms were continual, this time traces of blood were found in my urine. I was told to come back in a month when they would re-test.

yesterday i visited a sexual health clinic who have tested for infections (traces of blood still in urine).

I am concerned about these signs and symptoms, I am a 43yr old male so I know its rare under the age of 45 however i am worried sick. Any advice would be welcome. 

User
Posted 22 Mar 2018 at 13:22

It isn't that unusual for somebody 45+ anymore jp but it may well be other problems causing your urgency, so don't assume the worst

There shouldn't be blood in your urine and you may well have an infection that didn't show up on the diptest. You were told to come back in a month. Were you not offered (or advised to go to your GP) for precautionary antibiotics?

So, wait for the replies to the sexual health clinic tests. Go back to your GP if you are still having urinary problems.

Ask for a retest on the urine
Ask for a PSA (it will be helpful for the future in any case as a baseline for future changes)
Ask for a DRE (Digital rectal examination) where he/she should be able to judge whether it is normal

If you are still having urinary problems, and your GP is reluctant to do the PSA etc, then ask for a referral to a urologist who may take you more seriously

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails