I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostap Jab

User
Posted 01 Apr 2018 at 16:54
I’ve now had 5 jabs since being diagnosed. No problems with the first 4 but the latest 1 is visible, painful to the touch and painful when I bend. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I go and see my GP’s practice nurse again?
User
Posted 16 Jul 2019 at 15:14

Hi Phil

Thank you for your positive post. I hope that things go well for you once you come off the hormone treatment.

I've found that the improvement in my side-effects is quite slow but then, I've only missed one jab so far. I would like to think that I could stay off the treatment for good but as my cancer is in the lymph nodes, I'm expecting to go back on the treatment at some point in the future. In other words, I'm just trying to be realistic. But in the meantime, my quality of life is good and I'm just enjoying life without obsessing about what might happen further down the line.

Skellyboy

User
Posted 01 Apr 2018 at 23:41

Hi Tonyc
I've had about13 prostate jabs up to now.
Most ave been fine but the odd ones have given bruising and soreness which does eventually go.
If you've a concern tho call the gp to see the nurse. Nothing lost and maybe a gain.
Cheers
Paul

Edited by member 01 Apr 2018 at 23:42  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Apr 2018 at 18:17
One of mine was painful - like a bruise but without the skin discolouration - but the two after have been fine.
User
Posted 08 Jul 2018 at 18:24

If it were me I would get another!

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Apr 2018 at 23:41

Hi Tonyc
I've had about13 prostate jabs up to now.
Most ave been fine but the odd ones have given bruising and soreness which does eventually go.
If you've a concern tho call the gp to see the nurse. Nothing lost and maybe a gain.
Cheers
Paul

Edited by member 01 Apr 2018 at 23:42  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Apr 2018 at 18:17
One of mine was painful - like a bruise but without the skin discolouration - but the two after have been fine.
User
Posted 08 Jul 2018 at 17:47

Picked up my Prostap injection on Friday afternoon
Due for Jab tomorrow at 8.30
I have kept it in the fridge got it out to have a look and it quite clearly says do not keep in fridge

Anybody know if Injection is still ok or will I have to sling it and ask for another

Edited by member 08 Jul 2018 at 17:47  | Reason: spelling correction

User
Posted 08 Jul 2018 at 18:24

If it were me I would get another!

User
Posted 08 Jul 2018 at 20:07
Gary always lets the surgery get it so it’s always waiting for his appointment.the first one was in the stomach but then changed to one that was administered in arm .it must always be vigorously shaken first .

Not sure on storage but I would check first .

Best wishes

Debby

User
Posted 08 Jul 2018 at 22:06

My husband books his Prostap injection leaving  the surgery to organise the prescription. I know it is on his repeat prescription form but it’s much safer for the surgery to organise. 

My advice is to book your Prostap in advance and leave it up to the surgery to obtain it . 

Hope that helps

User
Posted 08 Jul 2018 at 22:49

My surgery leaves the responsibility for obtaining the PROSTAP to me. I don’t have the option to get it delivered and stored there. I generally store it in my garage but during the winter that became a problem as it was too cold.

Ido4

User
Posted 09 Jul 2018 at 08:18
I'm amazed these surgeries leave something so important to the patient mine is always done by the surgery nurse
User
Posted 10 Jul 2018 at 08:08
When I was on Prostap I had to collect it myself from the local pharmacy and bring it along when I had the jab (done by the duty nurse). I remember that the package clearly said not to refrigerate.

User
Posted 02 Oct 2018 at 23:05
I think it's strictly a matter of being lucky enough to have the right administrator to perform the injection.

I've been on 3 monthly Prostap injections for a year now and can honestly say that as someone who, with age, has seemed to have lost the use of convenient veins in his arms, I much prefer my muscular injection to my PSA jabs .

With many thanks to my un-named NHS nurse !

Still here !

User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 07:21

Prostap,

Is it 3 monthly or 12 weekly

User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 07:29
Gary’s is 12 weekly

Best wishes

Debby

User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 08:30
It says three months on the box but my oncologist insisted I have it 12 weekly like Gary.

I got a telling off for leaving it three months once!

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 09:08
Prostap is usually given by calendar months- it is Zoladex that MUST be given 4 or 12 weekly.

Getting prostap 4 weekly means you get an extra dose every year though :-)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 14:41
My oncologist was very clear I had to have the PROSTAP 3 every 12 weeks without exception!

Maybe just his preference?

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 16:58

Thanks to all 

I wiil plump for 12 weekly

User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 19:41
It doesn’t matter to anyone if your surgery don’t notice the difference and allow you to have the injection 12 weekly. The time that it really counts is if there is a bank holiday or a supply problem .... people on Zoladex would have to have their injection before the bank holiday rather than after because they must not go over 12 weeks. The joy of Prostap is that it doesn’t matter if it is a few days late or early.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Nov 2018 at 07:09
In Gary’s case it’s not the point of having it early it’s because of his work patterns and being able to have the same day every month rather than try to remember what day it falls on the following month. His memory is not what it used to be and it gives him one less thing to worry about .

Debby

User
Posted 16 Nov 2018 at 09:52
It actually says “you will normally be give your PROSTAP 3 injection once every three months”.

The key word is normally. My recurrence was deemed high risk so I’m sticking with my oncolgist’s advice to have PROSTAP 3 every 12 weeks. He must have his reasons for that.

Ido4

User
Posted 16 Nov 2018 at 10:14
I can’t quite remember who, but someone here has had to have his 3 monthly jab every two months because it wasn’t controlling the cancer well enough. Might be Bazza?

User
Posted 16 Nov 2018 at 10:16
Someone definitely did have the time reduced. It might have been Bazza but I can’t remember either.

Ido4

User
Posted 16 Nov 2018 at 13:04
Indeed it is! I certainly have cognitive and memory problems on HT. 🙄

It will be interesting to see how I feel after I have my last PROSTAP 3 injection in early January.

Ido4

User
Posted 16 Nov 2018 at 13:37

Trying to plan our 2019 holidays round my next 4 Prostap jabs. I get them done at my local surgery, don't really fancy taking the medication abroad on holiday and administering myself, although I've read on here that some folk do without any perceived problem.

Knowing my luck I'd be arrested at customs trying to bring it in.

User
Posted 16 Nov 2018 at 16:43
We are planning to visit Cartagena in Colombia in March if I manage to board the cruise ship in Fort Lauderdale but will be home before scheduled Prostap jab in April.
User
Posted 15 Dec 2018 at 10:25

In answer to Tonyc's original question on this thread; I had the one month prostap jab in the a*se just over a month ago. It gave me sciatica like pain in both buttocks and my lower spine  went away in a day or two. Had the 3 month injection 5 days ago and I'd say the pain was about 3 times as bad. Going away though. Down to sciatica like pain in the injected cheek, but still uncomfortable. 

I just went with it, thinking this would be the norm, but there again, I've only recently been diagnosed with depression which I've had since childhood. Always took severely depressive/suicidal episodes to be the norm as well!

User
Posted 08 Feb 2019 at 15:04

Not sure if I should be posting on this thread but here goes.

Since starting on Prostap I've been bothered by itchy skin, particularly under my armpits and around the genital area. I've seen my local pharmacist who has given me some Dermol cream to try. It's no worse than before but would be interested to know what others use to relieve this infernal itching. It can be very distracting as well as embarasing. 

Fortunately, apart from the occasional hot sweats, I seem to be tolerating the treatment quite well, apart from the itching that is. 

User
Posted 05 Jul 2019 at 16:16

Had my 5th prostap jab yesterday, 1-3 not a problem but 4 and yesterday have left large bruises, the one in April disappeared after 3 days but yesterdays jab is really sore 24 hours on and the bruise is the size of an egg.
The nurse who dispensed the first 3 has left the practice, the girl who has done the last 2 didn't have the same confident technique and I'm wondering if she's doing it correctly.
The injection site for the last 2 jabs has been lower and further away from my belly button than the first 3. Perhaps i should ask her to go a bit higher in October.

Skellyboy, I'm getting the itchy armpit syndrome but trying to ignore it. Deffo the prostap though.

Edited by member 05 Jul 2019 at 16:23  | Reason: update

User
Posted 05 Jul 2019 at 22:22
I have mine in my upper arm, you know the muscley bit at the top. Alternate arm so every 6 months in the left, 6 months in the right. Slight bruising for a couple of days.
User
Posted 06 Jul 2019 at 07:34

I have a three month dose every six weeks. I’ve had Prostap for nearly five years and often do them myself. Just make sure the angle is correct, about 45 degrees and the needle is smartly inserted. It is a lot to do with the experience of the nurse too. Unless it shows signs of infection or causes severe pain, just let the site settle. I also alternative the sides of the stomach to do it.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2019 at 08:43
Gary also has his in the upper arm as the nurse didn’t feel confident administering in the stomach.

Best wishes

Debby

User
Posted 06 Jul 2019 at 09:59

I also found the nurses varied in experience. I had mine mainly in the stomach but had one in the gluteus maximus too! That was ok but a bit sore sitting for a few days.

Ido4

User
Posted 06 Jul 2019 at 13:20

It was and is me

User
Posted 06 Jul 2019 at 16:13

Since I last posted I've been taken off my Prostap treatment because my PSA has responded so well. I'm still suffering from itchy skin but not as bad as before.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2019 at 16:36

Taken off a treatment that is clearly working well to a situation where your cancer is now receiving no treatment and therefore is open to the vagaries of possible progression because the treatment that was keeping it in check is no longer administered. Are you sure you are happy with this? 

User
Posted 06 Jul 2019 at 20:32
Brian

How long were you on the Prostap before they took you off it?

Have the side effects gone?

John

User
Posted 08 Jul 2019 at 11:54

I was first given the option of coming off Prostap in July 2018 but decided to stick with it as the treatment was obviously working. Since then my PSA has remained low and 3 injections later (I've had 8 altogether) I was again given the option of coming off treatment. Obviously, I am still having blood tests every 3 months and a visit to the oncologist every 6 months, so my condition is being monitored. The doctor felt that coming off the treatment would improve my quality of life and I have to say that my side effects have improved, even though my last injection was only in February. 

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 20:18

Skellyboy that’s great news that the PSA has responded so well. Fingers crossed you will never need the HT again.

My last injection is due October ( 2 years ) and I can’t wait to be off it.

Was G9 PSA 27 at the start and now at 0.08 so I’m hoping all will be good after all the treatment stops 😳. Will be worrying time as I really do not want to go back on HT....ever...

Interested to hear how the effects are wearing off so please keep us posted.

Good luck

Phil

User
Posted 16 Jul 2019 at 15:14

Hi Phil

Thank you for your positive post. I hope that things go well for you once you come off the hormone treatment.

I've found that the improvement in my side-effects is quite slow but then, I've only missed one jab so far. I would like to think that I could stay off the treatment for good but as my cancer is in the lymph nodes, I'm expecting to go back on the treatment at some point in the future. In other words, I'm just trying to be realistic. But in the meantime, my quality of life is good and I'm just enjoying life without obsessing about what might happen further down the line.

Skellyboy

User
Posted 08 Aug 2019 at 08:07

Hi all

I documented on this thread about the problems I had with my last Prostap jab. The soreness and swelling subsided after a week but I'm left with a small hard lump at the injection site.

Next time I'm going to ask for the injection to be done on my butt as my arms have gone so thin with this treatment there isn't enough fat/muscle on my upper arms to tolerate the jab.

Just hope the nurse will comply.

John

User
Posted 08 Aug 2019 at 08:32

I think the PROSTAP jab leaflet mentions it can be given there so nurse should be ok with that. Good luck.

Ido4