I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Effects of chemo

User
Posted 04 Apr 2018 at 01:12
Dad has gone into hospital again after a temperature reading of 38 πŸ˜” this is the second time after being admitted for the same thing after the first session. His white blood count is 0.2 but he feels fine.

The diagnosis on the sheet is neutropenic sepsis.

I'm worried now that they won't continue the chemo. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks
Miffy
User
Posted 04 Apr 2018 at 12:11
So sorry to hear this Miffy.
Hoping someone with experience will come along and answer your question.
Hope your dad picks up soon.
Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 04 Apr 2018 at 16:06

Miffy, I think the little red card your Dad would have been given on starting chemo will have listed the warning signs for this sepsis and the need for urgency in using curative medication. I had some sepsis (from an insect bite of all things) during my docetaxel course and it was a frightening experience. I certainly didn't feel fine! I think there will probably be about 10 days delay to allow the antibiotics to work and to get your dad's white blood cells back on track. Hopefully, he will be fit enough to continue with the chemo.

Good Luck!

AC

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Apr 2018 at 12:11
So sorry to hear this Miffy.
Hoping someone with experience will come along and answer your question.
Hope your dad picks up soon.
Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 04 Apr 2018 at 16:06

Miffy, I think the little red card your Dad would have been given on starting chemo will have listed the warning signs for this sepsis and the need for urgency in using curative medication. I had some sepsis (from an insect bite of all things) during my docetaxel course and it was a frightening experience. I certainly didn't feel fine! I think there will probably be about 10 days delay to allow the antibiotics to work and to get your dad's white blood cells back on track. Hopefully, he will be fit enough to continue with the chemo.

Good Luck!

AC

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 21:20
Hi Miffy I’m just wondering how your Dad is doing today? Really sorry to hear the latest news. I do hope he’s ok. Thinking of you xxx
User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 22:34
Thank you so much. He's actually in really high spirits! Feels fine as well which is good but as he says nobody knows what's going on inside him apart from the docs. They have kept him in again so his blood count still must not be high enough. He's eating well and has no pains which is great.

Think we caught it sooner this time as he had no aches at the beginning this time and feels well. Thank goodness for the thermometer it's a godsend. It's not nice not having him at home but knowing he is being checked on all the time is reassuring.

The Macmillan nurse told him yesterday the chemo dose may need to be tweaked, but as long as he can continue to get it that's the main thing. With any luck the next ones will go smoothly but if this is what has to happen then we will get him through it together!

Hope everything is well your end. Xxx
Miffy