I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Continue with AS

User
Posted 06 Apr 2018 at 20:26
I am 53 years old and have been on Active Surveillance for 3 years. In the 3 years nothing appears to have changed with my cancer. I am now having doubts and am unsure if I should just have the operation done whilst I am young and fit enough to recover from the operation Gleason 6 and low PSA 0.9 biopsy found cancer on left side only. Any thoughts or guidance
User
Posted 07 Apr 2018 at 00:22

Is the AS being done properly? You mention PSA tests but NICE guidelines say that you should have an MRI scan and DRE annually with additional biopsy if it is thought that there are any changes. You could ask for a multiparametric MRI - a new breed of scan which uses different sets of images to give a lot of detail that wouldn’t have been possible before.

Being young and fit enough to recover is one side of the coin; having treatment that you didn’t need but which leads to life changing side effects is the other side of the same coin.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Apr 2018 at 15:49

Unfortunately, there is no certain outcome whichever course of action you take. It can be a calculated risk or what you feel is best for you, also taking into account the way you consider this for your peace of mind. You will doubtless have read the pros and cons of treatment and potential side effects. Wish you well in coming to your decision.

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Apr 2018 at 00:22

Is the AS being done properly? You mention PSA tests but NICE guidelines say that you should have an MRI scan and DRE annually with additional biopsy if it is thought that there are any changes. You could ask for a multiparametric MRI - a new breed of scan which uses different sets of images to give a lot of detail that wouldn’t have been possible before.

Being young and fit enough to recover is one side of the coin; having treatment that you didn’t need but which leads to life changing side effects is the other side of the same coin.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Apr 2018 at 15:31
Thank you for your reply, the treatment I have had on AS is faultless no complaints at all. MRIs etc all done. I am just having second thoughts about the AS and feel it might be better to just get it done. My brother had to have radiotherapy and hormone treatment aged 55 because the cancer had spread and I think this is preying on my mind
User
Posted 07 Apr 2018 at 15:49

Unfortunately, there is no certain outcome whichever course of action you take. It can be a calculated risk or what you feel is best for you, also taking into account the way you consider this for your peace of mind. You will doubtless have read the pros and cons of treatment and potential side effects. Wish you well in coming to your decision.

Barry