I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Newbee

User
Posted 13 Apr 2018 at 23:46
Hi, I'm new here. My dad was rushed into hospital 4/8/16. He couldn't walk. It turned out he had prostate cancer which had spread to his spinal area causing compression. They operated to remove the mass, he had radiotherapy on his back. He currently has injections every month. He's started to complain about pains in his stomach and his feet, legs constantly hurt. He gets hot and sweats very easily. His PSA level was in the 1000s it was down to 0.02 roughly at the last check. I just wish he wasn't in so much pain. He finds it more comfortable laying down now. How do help, he only goes out twice a week, where before he'd be out every night.
User
Posted 14 Apr 2018 at 00:17

The pains in his legs are probably a side effect of the hormone injections, as are the hot sweats - the hormones are putting him into a male version of the menopause and making his muscles weaker than they were. They also caus3 fatigue which might be why he doesn’t feel like going out so much. Did the spinal cord compression leave him paralysed or is he still able to walk a bit?

The fact that his PSA has gone down so low is a really good sign - some men live for many years just with the hormone treatment; the side effects are a bit of a pain but worth it if it means that he is still with you for a long time.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 14 Apr 2018 at 18:11

TeresaS, I echo Lyn's words. That's a fantastic response to the HT. Wish I had experienced something like that. Can you tell us more about your Dad's diagnosis and current symptoms. It would help us to help you. But hold on to that good news. That is really important, the very low PSA. If you can deal with the other symptoms you should have Dad's company for a long, long time yet!

Good Luck

AC