I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Help and advice for abiraterone

User
Posted 24 Apr 2018 at 12:03
My husband is 49 has already had a course of radiotherapthy , and is on zolidex every 12 weeks , sadly his cancer has now spread to lymph nodes around the stomach and he is now waiting to start the abiraterone along with steroids.

Is there anyone here in the same situation who can tell me how they getting in with this treatment please as it’s a very anxious worrying time for us.

User
Posted 24 Apr 2018 at 21:39
Hi, sorry to read that hubby has spread to lymphs.

I was diagnosed 3 years ago aged 49, it had already spread to lymphs outside pelvic area.

After a year of zoladex , chemo and radiotherapy my PSA started rising again.

I started abiraterone in Jan 2016. I have had little problem with it. My PSA is at 0.11 and has been for a while. I have not had any noticeable tiredness or soreness although I find it hard to put on muscle, have hot flushes from time to time, have lost most "manly" body hair (chest, legs etc) and have grown small moobs however that may well be the zoladex.

However , I have also run many multi day ultra marathons, I just got back from the Sahara having compelted the 250k Marathon Des Sables for a third time since I was diagnosed, a month before I raced across the artic solo pulling a sledge for 120 miles. So whilst spread means incurable it does not mean that abiraterone has to stop you from doing things for some.

My next blood results are tomorrow (now had results, lowest ever PSA for me 0.08), no idea what they will be but I promise you I have not spent the last two years worrying about what will happen in the future just got on with the now and had a blast.

So in summary, in my own experience abiraterone is ok and has given me over two good years so far.

If you want to see what else I have done go to www.makethemostof.it

Edited by member 25 Apr 2018 at 16:35  | Reason: Not specified

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 25 Apr 2018 at 14:15

I agree with all of that ,even though Gary hasn’t run marathons,he has continued to work at a quite heavy duty job .fatigue is main concern but he is also taking enzolutamin at same time due to being on a trial .we are currently on a well deserve holiday in japan so life does go on
Best wishes
Debby