I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

sex after robotic surgery

User
Posted 25 Apr 2018 at 19:57

Due to have robot assisted surgery soon and concerned about sexual side effects and erectile dysfunction. I am having nerve sparing on one side of the prostate but the consultant has said that there is only 20% chance of maintaining erections with sildenafil with the partial nerve sparing procedure. Will I still be able to orgasm (without ejaculating of course) even though I may get permanent ED....I am also due to have a vacuum pump appointment. If anyone could help with previous experience that would be really appreciated. 

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 01:00

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
What was the protec trial? ??

Re your question the pump is simple, mechanical and works but unless your sexual preferences are a little "robotic" it is not in the slightest bit romantic! It is best saved for "exercising".
I have now (2.5 years) recovered enough to get it up with just the help of a durex ring but during my recovery I tried everything and found the injections to be the best.
I find orgasm to be a bit sporadic (I can keep going for ages!) but when they happen they are just as good.

That view need not be the case for everyone.

The pump, a pump can be great fun if employed as any other toy.

Your choice.  It can be FUN!  Or it can be boring it can be mechanical it can be tedious etc etc.

It is up to you and your partner how you treat it and employ it.  Make the pump part of your foreplay, and it will enhance your pleasure. 

atb

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 07:06

I suggest you find the ‘erecting the erection’ post on here which details many men’s experiences after surgery. I’m 3 yrs post op and whilst many things will never be the same our sex life is still wonderful and full , and the journey to recovery has put many a normal couples love life to change. You do need a very giving loving partner to help you through it all. It’s easy to reach orgasm completely flaccid through oral sex.

User
Posted 25 Apr 2018 at 23:59

Re your question the pump is simple, mechanical and works but unless your sexual preferences are a little "robotic" it is not in the slightest bit romantic! It is best saved for "exercising".

I have now (2.5 years) recovered enough to get it up with just the help of a durex ring but during my recovery I tried everything and found the injections to be the best.

I find orgasm to be a bit sporadic (I can keep going for ages!) but when they happen they are just as good.

User
Posted 27 Apr 2018 at 08:14
Hi Jes

I had nerve sparing robotic surgery in 2014.

I made a full physical recovery - fully continent at 7 weeks and ED slowly recovered during the first 6 months.

However due to psa rise I’ve recently undergone salvage radiotherapy and things remain the same for now. Long term I don’t know........

Sex has been normal and satisfying since the op as things are like before except for the dry orgasms, which don’t take long to get used to - it’s just a bit less “messy” (I’d still prefer pre-op status though)

Bill

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Apr 2018 at 23:59

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 01:00

That view need not be the case for everyone.

The pump, a pump can be great fun if employed as any other toy.

Your choice.  It can be FUN!  Or it can be boring it can be mechanical it can be tedious etc etc.

It is up to you and your partner how you treat it and employ it.  Make the pump part of your foreplay, and it will enhance your pleasure. 

atb

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 01:02

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 07:06

I suggest you find the ‘erecting the erection’ post on here which details many men’s experiences after surgery. I’m 3 yrs post op and whilst many things will never be the same our sex life is still wonderful and full , and the journey to recovery has put many a normal couples love life to change. You do need a very giving loving partner to help you through it all. It’s easy to reach orgasm completely flaccid through oral sex.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 17:52

I was asked by my local surgery about 13 years ago to see whether I wanted to volunteer for the Protec T study which I agreed to.

The purpose of this study is about the best way of treating localised prostate cancer as at present it is not known which of the three treatments is best: to carefully monitor men with regular blood tests and checkups, surgery to remove the prostate or radiotherapy.

I was randomly selected to have the first option which is Active monitoring which I've been very happy to follow over the years having reached a psa of 7 to 8 only recently and not having to deal with any potential bothersome side effects of the other two options.

The results were published last year which should be available on their website.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 18:04

Hi Jes, some couples find that the pump is all they ever need - I suspect it is more difficult to introduce a mechanical implement if you are single and dating. Tablets, creams, pellets and injections all work for some men but sadly there are men for whom nothing helps at all - it is rather pot luck which will be which.

These two threads should help clarify your expectations

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t9839-One-wife-s-story-of-ED1#post119001

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t10993-Erecting-the-Erection---Medication#post134233

There is evidence that permanent ED is slightly more likely after robotic RP than with open surgery, and the same with incontinence. However, recovery in other ways (like getting home, driving & getting back to work) is much quicker with robotic.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Apr 2018 at 08:14
Hi Jes

I had nerve sparing robotic surgery in 2014.

I made a full physical recovery - fully continent at 7 weeks and ED slowly recovered during the first 6 months.

However due to psa rise I’ve recently undergone salvage radiotherapy and things remain the same for now. Long term I don’t know........

Sex has been normal and satisfying since the op as things are like before except for the dry orgasms, which don’t take long to get used to - it’s just a bit less “messy” (I’d still prefer pre-op status though)

Bill

User
Posted 27 Apr 2018 at 11:17

Hi Lynne,

Many thanks for your post. I am retired now so going back to work quickly isn't a priority. I think the consultant suggested that the robot assisted procedure is the most up to date and probably better option than open surgery at Leicester General. Just a bit wary now as you mention the increased chances of ED and incontinence. Are there any statistics for this please 

User
Posted 24 Jun 2018 at 17:24

Hi Chris J just read your post I am not at the love making stage yet , but it will come in time no pun intended . I had my prostate removed on the 6th of June 2018 by robot I am getting use to wearing nappies and pull ups not my finest how're , but what u said about a loving partner so right I know my will be there for me as she all ways has been 🙂 , as for the pump I have had some suck sees in the past I had some ED before the cancer and op but I am told new treatments are out there now , best wishes on your RD to recovery 

User
Posted 13 Aug 2018 at 17:19
The pump is sorting of working for me but I am now on meds to help with blood flow not quite stiff enough for inter corse but it is still early days ,
User
Posted 13 Aug 2018 at 17:20
The pump is sorting of working for me but I am now on meds to help with blood flow not quite stiff enough for inter corse but it is still early days ,
User
Posted 13 Aug 2018 at 18:00
If you are not getting hard enough for penetration, your pump technique is possibly not quite right - it should work without any call on your blood flow properties.

Are you

- trimming the pubic hair in that area as close to your body as possible

- putting lube on your pubic area as well as inside the tube

- best technique is to pump slowly and stop every few pumps to give the blood time to arrive - it can take upwards of 20 minutes until you get more practised

- does the penis engorge fully in the tube and then droop when you remove the tube? If so, you are not using a tight enough ring - some find that a combination of 2 different size rings works best

- alternatively, are you accidentally releasing the vacuum a little when you transfer the ring from the tube to the penis?

What make and model of vacuum pump are you using?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Aug 2018 at 22:27
I found the pump pretty technical to get a usable result + the rings create a "hinge" effect and combine that with the enormous swollen head it gives you it makes it all a bit tricky! Certainly not spontaneous!! Having said that looking at your profile you are only a couple of months post op so I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself just yet!

If all else fails the injections work - sometimes to well! !

Interested why you had the op as a G6 (same as me) some folks would say you never need to operate on a G6 but as I found mine had already left the capsule do it was the right choice for me..

User
Posted 13 Aug 2018 at 22:37

If all else fails the injections work - sometimes to well! !

For you francij but not for everyone 

User
Posted 16 Aug 2018 at 16:38

This pump thing is a screem it really is. I have an electric one and the instructions say to hold the switch down for 3 seconds and then allow 10 seconds for blood to flow into the boy toy. Then repeat until fully loaded. It takes for ever. Initially I thought it would be fun and figured I would over inflate for a laugh but oh my this is not the way forward!

KBO as they say. Where's the Monestry, need a new religion

Fresh

Base jumping without a parachute should be frowned at, never criticised. Fresh

User
Posted 16 Aug 2018 at 16:39

maybe we should rename the thread to 'Having Sex with Robots"

Fresh

Base jumping without a parachute should be frowned at, never criticised. Fresh

User
Posted 16 Aug 2018 at 23:03
It gets much quicker once you have the technique nailed.

User
Posted 16 Aug 2018 at 23:40

It gets much quicker once you have the technique nailed.

Yep!!!