I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Frozen pineapple,not a success

User
Posted 30 Apr 2018 at 20:00
M husband has just had his third dose of Docetaxel and took along his frozen pineapple chunks in a vacuum flask. As he sucked away he realised that his mouth was bleeding. In fact it kept on bleeding after he spat the defrosted chunk out along with a tissue full of blood.

As he had a fairly sore mouth after the last two doses of Docetaxel and he experienced thrush, so a word of warning to others, use the frozen chunks carefully.

His oncologist has prescribed Benzydamine mouthwash to help with the soreness

So good luck to one and all on chemotherapy especially Docetaxel, take care with the pineapple!

User
Posted 30 Apr 2018 at 20:00
M husband has just had his third dose of Docetaxel and took along his frozen pineapple chunks in a vacuum flask. As he sucked away he realised that his mouth was bleeding. In fact it kept on bleeding after he spat the defrosted chunk out along with a tissue full of blood.

As he had a fairly sore mouth after the last two doses of Docetaxel and he experienced thrush, so a word of warning to others, use the frozen chunks carefully.

His oncologist has prescribed Benzydamine mouthwash to help with the soreness

So good luck to one and all on chemotherapy especially Docetaxel, take care with the pineapple!

User
Posted 01 May 2018 at 13:07

Thanks for the warning bluetrew

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 02 May 2018 at 17:14

I'm not really one to intervene in this discussion as I never experienced the metallic taste with docetaxel or cabazitaxel, but it does seem obvious to me that putting anything frozen in your mouth, apart from an ice lolly which is sucked intermittently and not usually left in one place, is unwise. It is bound to stick to soft tissues and tear them when moved. Would not the same effect be achieved with fruit drops, pineapple flavour perhaps? Has anyone tried this less drastic approach?

AC

User
Posted 02 May 2018 at 23:01

I was given Caphosol and Gelclair by both my GP and Cancer Centre for mouth problems and pain. The first is a mouthwash and the other coats the inside of the mouth. Worked great for me.

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 May 2018 at 13:07

Thanks for the warning bluetrew

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 May 2018 at 17:35

Oh no! That sounds terrible Bluetrue

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 May 2018 at 17:14

I'm not really one to intervene in this discussion as I never experienced the metallic taste with docetaxel or cabazitaxel, but it does seem obvious to me that putting anything frozen in your mouth, apart from an ice lolly which is sucked intermittently and not usually left in one place, is unwise. It is bound to stick to soft tissues and tear them when moved. Would not the same effect be achieved with fruit drops, pineapple flavour perhaps? Has anyone tried this less drastic approach?

AC

User
Posted 02 May 2018 at 17:40

It was the advice of the chemo team at our hospital and both my father-in-law and step-father-in-law were told to bring frozen fresh pineapple with them to the sessions. It is included in a number of information packs for chemo patients, including from Cancer Research UK and breast cancer support charities. People on chemo should avoid acidic fruit if they have a sore mouth and pineapple is alkaline.

You would expect though that frozen chunks would have started to defrost on the journey from home to hospital - maybe there is something about not sucking them if they have come immediately from the freezer?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 May 2018 at 18:41
My husband did not experience the metallic taste with his first two infusion but he did lack a sense of taste and also a bit of thrush. I did mention that on the forum it mentioned frozen pineapple chunks so he thought it was worth a try. I also spoke to a nurse who met up with us as a preliminary meeting about what to expect from chemotherapy and she had never heard of it, ginger chews yes but frozen chunks of pineapple no!

Anyway, if anyone has a slightly sore mouth the pineapple is not a great idea.

I also went along to the demystifying chemotherapy workshop that was run by two nurses from oncology and they had not heard of the frozen pineapple idea.

Interesting how different people react.

User
Posted 02 May 2018 at 19:27

Cancer Research UK says that's exactly when people should have it - when their mouths are sore from the chemo :-/ It sounds horrific for your OH but perhaps his was a rare response, or it would have happened regardless of the pineapple?

User
Posted 02 May 2018 at 20:48
One person or more on this site recommended that frozen pineapple during chemotherapy should prevent the metallic taste and I thought that we should give it a try
User
Posted 02 May 2018 at 23:01

I was given Caphosol and Gelclair by both my GP and Cancer Centre for mouth problems and pain. The first is a mouthwash and the other coats the inside of the mouth. Worked great for me.

Dave