Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Tests for Prostate Cancer

User
Posted 05 May 2018 at 14:05
Hi all,

My husband is 52 and at Christmas had a PSA test done in some routine blood tests. His PSA was 3.7, 6 weeks later it was 3.9 and then six weeks after it was 4.2. He had no symptoms and doc said his prostate was enlarged on DRE. He was referred for fast track and two weeks ago had an MP MRI which we found out yesterday was negative. The consultant still wants to do a TRUS biopsy which is next week. My husband is worried more about that procedure than having cancer I think!

My question is what is the likelihood that this could be cancer? The consultant seems To want to just rule it out which we understand. Also, he says the template biopsy is not an option as he has ‘nothing to aim for’.

I wonder if anyone has experienced the same results? If so what was the outcome? Is he getting the right tests do you think?

In the last week he has experienced the need to wee all the time and is constantly in the loo so could this be BPH?

Thanks all!

User
Posted 05 May 2018 at 19:40

Bud123, you must resist fearing the worst. With the numbers you give and the MRI scan showing nothing, it is very likely to be BPH, which is readily treated. Relax!

AC

User
Posted 05 May 2018 at 19:49

hmmmmm.......
I would not presume to say that a TRUS biopsy should not be the next step. However, a template biopsy could be of 50 or so needles using a grid so that a tumour has to be very small not to be hit using this procedure. A TRUS biopsy on the other hand is usually of only 8-12 needles. You have to question the logic that if circa 50 needles are unlikely to find it, why possibly 12 at random (urologist says he has nothing to aim for), would stand a better chance! It could be that there is a reluctance to do the template procedure, which is more expensive and involved than the TRUS where there is not much evidence that a man might have PCa. I remember one forum member who going back some time had two negative TRUS biopsies before cancer was found by a template one. Everyone is different. Urologists may take a different route in view of their experience or because they follow a protocol of their hospital.

I would not have thought that BPH would result in a sudden increase in the need to urinate but a urinary track infection could. There could also be other explanations, sometimes urgency and frequency can be a result of stress for example, even the thought of an impending biopsy could cause this. But you have to appreciate that we are not doctors so changed symptoms should be taken up with his GP and if he feels it appropriate referred on to his urologist.

As far as anyone knows at presen,t PCa has not been proven.

Barry
User
Posted 05 May 2018 at 20:10

MpMRI is usually extremely reliable as it reads the cells of the prostate in at least 3 different ways, including how light is refracted and reflected. However, there are some very rare prostate cancers that don’t show on scans - perhaps you could wait 3 months to see if the weeing settles and PSA drops before agreeing to the biopsy?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 May 2018 at 19:40

Bud123, you must resist fearing the worst. With the numbers you give and the MRI scan showing nothing, it is very likely to be BPH, which is readily treated. Relax!

AC

User
Posted 05 May 2018 at 19:49

hmmmmm.......
I would not presume to say that a TRUS biopsy should not be the next step. However, a template biopsy could be of 50 or so needles using a grid so that a tumour has to be very small not to be hit using this procedure. A TRUS biopsy on the other hand is usually of only 8-12 needles. You have to question the logic that if circa 50 needles are unlikely to find it, why possibly 12 at random (urologist says he has nothing to aim for), would stand a better chance! It could be that there is a reluctance to do the template procedure, which is more expensive and involved than the TRUS where there is not much evidence that a man might have PCa. I remember one forum member who going back some time had two negative TRUS biopsies before cancer was found by a template one. Everyone is different. Urologists may take a different route in view of their experience or because they follow a protocol of their hospital.

I would not have thought that BPH would result in a sudden increase in the need to urinate but a urinary track infection could. There could also be other explanations, sometimes urgency and frequency can be a result of stress for example, even the thought of an impending biopsy could cause this. But you have to appreciate that we are not doctors so changed symptoms should be taken up with his GP and if he feels it appropriate referred on to his urologist.

As far as anyone knows at presen,t PCa has not been proven.

Barry
User
Posted 05 May 2018 at 20:10

MpMRI is usually extremely reliable as it reads the cells of the prostate in at least 3 different ways, including how light is refracted and reflected. However, there are some very rare prostate cancers that don’t show on scans - perhaps you could wait 3 months to see if the weeing settles and PSA drops before agreeing to the biopsy?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard