Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

When to Chemo

User
Posted 05 May 2018 at 20:34

Hi All

You will see from my husband's profile that his PSA is on the rise again.  If there is another rise by the next appointment in August the consultant has recommended chemo.  Neil is feeling better now than he has done since starting the hormone treatment 6 years ago and asked the consultant if he could delay chemo until the winter so he could at least enjoy this summer.  The consultant basically said Neil should do as advised, but another adviser sitting in on the appointment said it should be up to Neil.  Just wondered what people thought or had chosen to do.  Neil has a small secondary tumour in a lymph node next to the prostate but no signs of it anywhere else at the moment.  Would we be taking a big risk if we delayed treatment by a few months?  

User
Posted 05 May 2018 at 22:30

Hi,
I have no idea if delaying treatment for a few months would be a risk but it's probably best to wait until August and see if his PSA has risen enough for the consultant to advise chemo is needed.
If he does need chemo it would probably take a couple of weeks to organise so unless we get a scorching September summer will be on its way out by then.
My husband had chemo (docetaxel) last year, May to August, and he had no ill effects; he lost a bit of his body hair but apart from that he was fine and we managed to get away for a few long weekends.
It's daunting to start on a treatment that can have unpleasant side effects when you're not even feeling ill and we've found the doctors and nurses seem to stress all the things that could go wrong but not everyone has side effects and the chemo brought his PSA down from 250 to 3.
Dave's probably a bit further down the road than Neil - he has extensive bone mets, his PSA is currently 411 and he's one treatment into cabazitaxel chemo.
My advice would be to enjoy the next few months and see what happens in August.
All the best to both of you.

User
Posted 05 May 2018 at 23:49

Onco sounds a bit grumpy - until about 2 years ago your husband wouldn’t even have been offered chemo at this point so waiting until August is no issue. By the time it all gets sorted out you will be well into September or even October. Try to get a holiday or something in the meantime.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard