I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Heel pain

User
Posted 07 May 2018 at 09:37
Hi my husband had a RP just over a month ago.

He had a bone scan prior to the op as the cancer had broken through the prostate. This was clear.

We are going to see the surgeon on 15 th May for histology

but in the meantime my husband is experiencing quite severe heel pain and just wondered if any other members have had this?

Thanks.

Do as you would be done by
User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 14:05

It is easy when someone has cancer to assume that every ache, pain or symptom is somehow related. I can't think of any reason why heel pain would be linked to having had pelvic surgery - unless a nerve ending has been pinched or bashed during the process. Heel pain is often caused by plantar fasciitis, an inflammation of the tendons supporting the foot arch - often caused by wearing shoes that were too flat and common among joggers. Has he been wearing slippers with poor support during his recovery?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 23:05
Hiya Sue,

With regards to the heel pain.If it is plantar fasciitis,I was able to get rid of mine with foot exercises and a bespoke orthotic to put in my shoes.The pain was worse on getting out of bed or even after a short rest, apparently due to microscopic tears after the tissue attempts to heal during inactivity.

Goodnight everyone, Paul.

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 23:08

Also, worth you knowing that the two kinds of HT are
- tablets to disguise the testosterone and trick the cancer into thinking it is being starved
- injections to stop production of testosterone

Sometimes men need both.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 13:40

Hello Sue.
Can't help with query so just bumping you in case somebody else sees your post who can

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 14:05

It is easy when someone has cancer to assume that every ache, pain or symptom is somehow related. I can't think of any reason why heel pain would be linked to having had pelvic surgery - unless a nerve ending has been pinched or bashed during the process. Heel pain is often caused by plantar fasciitis, an inflammation of the tendons supporting the foot arch - often caused by wearing shoes that were too flat and common among joggers. Has he been wearing slippers with poor support during his recovery?

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 16:57
Thanks Lyn

Unfortunately my OH googled heel pain with PC and it came up as being a possible link! Probably best to stay off internet for these types of things.

Incidentally hubbie was inadvertently called to hospital today for a follow up after his RP 5 weeks ago. He is due to see the surgeon next Tuesday. The nurse told him that as the cancer had escaped from the capsule he will almost certainly need RT and surgeon will be discussing this with him next week. I thought normally a PSA test would be done post op and then a decision would be made about RT/HT. was hoping he would just be monitored with blood tests but was quite shocked to hear they are planning RT so quickly. Have you any experience of this, I.e is this a usual pattern? Also don’t quite understand the HT aspect of treatment. Frightened to use Dr Google now!

Thanks for any advice.

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 20:33

They are referring to adjuvant RT - they would normally wait for the first PSA result but where the pathology suggests that either there was a positive margin (ie a bit might have been left behind) they may advise to have it anyway.

What don't you understand about HT?

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 22:00
Thanks for your reply Lyn. I understand what HT is but not sure when this is given. Is it given at the same time as RT or is it a totally different treatment?

Sue

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 23:03

Ah okay. HT is given either as tablets or injections, depending on which type. it varies from onco to onco but some will suggest 6 months, 2 years or 3 years of HT with the RT while others think that HT is unnecessary with salvage or adjuvant RT. Some will say that the man should have a month of tablets and then 2 - 3 years of injections (that is to stop tumour flare when the injections start) while others will recommend 6, 9 months or 2 years of tablets. It is crazy how much variation there is.

Research says that ART / SRT are more likely to be successful if given with HT, and other research says the longer you stick with the HT the better the outcome. Much is down to the side effects though - my husband stopped the hormones early because he hated the side effects. Usually, the hormones are given for 3 months before the RT starts although research suggests that the longer he takes hormones before RT the better the outcome.

At this stage, you can't even begin to guess what will be recommended in your case. Hopefully, the urologist is just going to tell you that he is making a referral to an oncologist so you can talk to the onco about what s/he recommends.

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 23:05
Hiya Sue,

With regards to the heel pain.If it is plantar fasciitis,I was able to get rid of mine with foot exercises and a bespoke orthotic to put in my shoes.The pain was worse on getting out of bed or even after a short rest, apparently due to microscopic tears after the tissue attempts to heal during inactivity.

Goodnight everyone, Paul.

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 23:08

Also, worth you knowing that the two kinds of HT are
- tablets to disguise the testosterone and trick the cancer into thinking it is being starved
- injections to stop production of testosterone

Sometimes men need both.

User
Posted 09 May 2018 at 16:24
Thanks so much for your helpful comments. It does seem a bit confusing and I guess we will have to wait to see what the oncologist suggests. We’re having a meeting with urologist on Tuesday to get full results of the histology of his prostate so will be better informed then.

It’s so good to be able to get advice on here. Feel a bit thick about PC but learning more each day! Must admit I didn’t think even two months ago I’d be having conversations about prostate cancer!