I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Suprapubic catheter and now Nephrostomy and Colostomy

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 05:41

My dad is now in the hospital awaiting results of several biopsies.  He had a suprapubic catheter placed last year.  He now had renal failure and has nephrostomy tubes in place.  He also had a colostomy surgery to do the biopsies and clean up the fistula that occurred near his prostate.

His history is that he had brachiotherapy (radiation seeds) implanted approximately 18 years ago.  The cancer was eradicated, but apparently he is suffering from a lot of necrotic tissue---which makes bleeding seem normal.  Now we are faced with awaiting results. 

He is currently in the hospital, but discharge is likely tomorrow.  He has a painful mass around his prostate area that was not detected on a recent colonoscopy.

I would love to know if anyone has insight.  He has 3 catheters now and a colostomy.  The pain is taking his lifestyle away.  He loves to travel and play tennis.

Thank you in advance for anything that you might share that you may connect to.  I am faced with what to ask the doctors so we can get his life back on track.

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 14:21
Frank's Daughter in the USA

Just bumping you up the list, new posts sometimes get missed. I have had a suprapubic Catheter for over a year plus the odd urethral Catheter at the same time,they have all been relatively trouble free.

Sounds like dad has had and is still having a tough time.

Hopefully some may have an insight into Dad's problems

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 16:43

Has he continued to have regular PSA tests over the 18 years? What have his recent PSA levels been?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard