I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

psa rapid rise after gallbladder surgery

User
Posted 14 May 2018 at 18:00
Hi, looking around for info in regards to my psa numbers, please bear with me. I am 80 year old, last year I had 2 operations first had right knee replaced 5 months later had gall bladder removed, was major surgery could not do the minor. Now before my gall bladder my PSA was in the 4 to 5 range after the surgery my PSA started climbing within 4 months it is now 12. I have seen articles stating that this could happen after gallbladder surgery, I've had digital, ultrasound and a genome blood test. Dr recommends a biopsy all of tests have not shown cancer so leary of having this. Has anybody come across anything like this..
Thanks Don
User
Posted 14 May 2018 at 20:20

Having your gallbladder removed can raise PSA but this is only temporary and it should fall back to normal levels within a few days. If you don't fancy going straight to biopsy, you could ask for a free PSA (fPSA) test which gives more reliable results than the normal PSA test.

Do you know whether you had a routine MRI scan or the newer multiparametric MRI?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 07 Sep 2019 at 20:22

Hi Donlac,

Was hoping to see if you have any updated information regarding this? 

My father just had his knee replaced last year and a month after had an emergency gallbladder removal along with emergency blood transfusion due to severe internal hemorrhaging. Fast forward, a year later he now has prostate cancer. Pretty much exact same situation that you were in. 

Any thoughts or advice? Any thing you learned or experienced that you can share? After further review did you consider negligence from the doctor or malpractice?

User
Posted 07 Sep 2019 at 20:57
Just to be clear, having a knee replacement or gall bladder removal does not cause prostate cancer, these are all things that are more likely as people get older. Not sure you could take legal action against medics for diagnosing a problem and then treating it!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard