I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Information on Avodart fro so eone that has used it, please

User
Posted 18 May 2018 at 16:02
Hi, went for uro appointment on Wednesday, Uro said Psa back up now 15 was 13 then down to 11 now 15, my GP thinks a turp is the way to go as I have concerns about side affects of Avodart,(a friend of my age has had breast swelling and bodily hair loss and lost his libido) but Uro said that is not an option at this stage and wants me to take Avodart.
I have been plagued with Uti's and have been on Bactrim for 8 or so weeks to prevent further infections as I am retaining 200ml of urine on average and I take Prazosin to help me empty bladder.
I had another dre and nothing abnormal other than prostate being very, very large and gave another sample for urinalysis, have had biopsy, ultrasounds and cystoscopy previously, they say my prostate has reduced my obladder capacity by 30%.
I get up to pee on average 5,6 or more times a night sometimes 9 or 10 times, this whole thing is getting me down now, more so from lack of sleep.
I live alone mostly as my partner has to work and loses too much sleep here, she does aged care ironically.
I have yet to see same Uro twice.
The public health system is under tremendous pressure here in WA and unfortunately I have no other affordable option but to stick with it.
I would like to hear from anyone that has taken Avodart or is taking it, so that I can weigh up pro's and cons.
Thanks Steve.
User
Posted 22 May 2018 at 16:16
Anyone
User
Posted 22 May 2018 at 16:33

If you put Avodart in the search box there are 4 people posting about it.

User
Posted 30 May 2018 at 16:28
Thanks, found it.
User
Posted 03 Sep 2019 at 10:25

I have been taking Avodart daily since diagnosis in May. Initially I took it before Hormone treatment but when I stopped taking it my symptoms worsened (frequent painful urination) . The urologist said it was ok to start it again and I have had none of the side effects you mention. My libido has been low for many years (I am 83) and my wife and I have no problem with that. If asked I would recommend Avodart. The urologist says it is like a milder hormone treatment and in my case it acts as a top up.