I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Husband having tests

User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 08:58
Hi . My husband had some "aching" in his testicular and anal area. GPunable to do dre PSA was taken and slightly high, referred to urologist who was also unable to do dre. Sent for MRI and then got called for biopsy. The consultant said there were two ares of concern that he would be focusing on but took 18 samples in all. He also said that the Mir scan had shown a shadow on my husbands lung so now we have a ct scan for thorax and abdomen contrast booked for Wednesday.

My father in law had prostrate cancer in his 50's. My husband is 52.

I'm veRy worried. Any advice would be great. Thank you .

User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 15:06

Why couldn’t they do the DRE?

Don’t read anything into the 18 cores taken - that is fairly routine. They wouldn’t just take one sample from each of the 2 grey areas; they take a sample of cores from both sides and any zones they can reach.

The fact that his dad was so young when diagnosed does increase his risk a bit - has he been having regular PSA tests over the years?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 18:26

It means that they couldn't really tell one way or the other. A 1 means they are almost certain it isn't cancer, a 5 means that they are as certain as they can be that it is cancer.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 May 2018 at 09:37
I cant really comment on the technicalities, because its so complex, our minds either blow a fuse or our minds go into overdrive and dark imaginings start appearing.

Try to concentrate on what you know, particularly what your consultant tells you.

The biopsy he is having is painless, he'll have a nice sleep through it, and the way forward should be much clearer.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 15:06

Why couldn’t they do the DRE?

Don’t read anything into the 18 cores taken - that is fairly routine. They wouldn’t just take one sample from each of the 2 grey areas; they take a sample of cores from both sides and any zones they can reach.

The fact that his dad was so young when diagnosed does increase his risk a bit - has he been having regular PSA tests over the years?

User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 18:04
Hi LynEyre

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

The reason they couldn't do the dre was that it was to uncomfortable for my husband. I think he had a fissure there.

I saw on another thread that you mentioned about the super duper mri which gave a score. The consultant did mention that and gave my husband a three for his areas of suspicion. What does that really mean?

User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 18:26

It means that they couldn't really tell one way or the other. A 1 means they are almost certain it isn't cancer, a 5 means that they are as certain as they can be that it is cancer.

User
Posted 23 May 2018 at 19:48

Today my husband had his CT scan for his thorax and abdomen (shadow picked up when he had his mri) 

Tomorrow is D day.  We have the results of the biopsies.  12.00. I'm so worried goodness knows how he is feeling inside.  He's being very calm and positive on the outside which is very out of character for him 🤔

User
Posted 24 May 2018 at 21:01

Husband has 3+3 . They now want him to have a transperineal 

Biopsy.  They want to wait for results of his CT scan too which was on his thorax and abdomen. If both don't show anything they want to do active surveillance. What are your thoughts on this anyone?  My husband just wants it out 😢

User
Posted 25 May 2018 at 09:37
I cant really comment on the technicalities, because its so complex, our minds either blow a fuse or our minds go into overdrive and dark imaginings start appearing.

Try to concentrate on what you know, particularly what your consultant tells you.

The biopsy he is having is painless, he'll have a nice sleep through it, and the way forward should be much clearer.