I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA 67. I'm glad it's not higher.

User
Posted 22 May 2018 at 08:41
Male. 62, just had a PSA test after recent total urinary retention.

'I'd have expected 3. You got 67,' says the doc. 'Better shove my finger up your a****, and do another PSA test next week.'

I'll update here when I get the result, but meantime this is a useless post of no significant benefit to anyone.

I'm probably just too stupid to care.

Or maybe the likely/potential implications haven't yet sunk-in.

Despite being a 'common killer', survival rates of prostate cancer seem surprisingly good.

And, 'living with it' seems commonplace.

Perhaps this may not be so bad after all.

Besides, I may just have BPH.

More later.

Meantime, my genuine empathy and best wishes to others in similar and worse situations.

That Monty Python 'always look on the bright side...' has just entered my thoughts.

Probably not bad advice.

:-)

User
Posted 22 May 2018 at 09:08
LMHO! hope it isn't PC but if it is sounds like you will be a fun contributor to this site!!
User
Posted 22 May 2018 at 10:21
Gulliver, I like you already! Wishing you the best x
User
Posted 22 May 2018 at 15:10

Very best of luck to you, gulliver. With a PSA of 67 you'll probably be referred to a consultant urologist and then have an MRI scan and biopsy. I'm a few weeks ahead of you on the journey - finished all my tests and get the results this Thursday. The waiting is the toughest part of it for most people (it certainly has been for me), but the sooner it starts, the sooner it's all done.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 22 May 2018 at 17:09

Thanks to all, for the warm replies.

(Jeez, I must send email to whomever runs this forum - tell 'em the text size is too small for some of us... please, pump-it-up a size-or-two - not so the bloke across the road can eavesdrop my life story, but at least so I can read it without a magnifying glass.)

Anyway, having got a phone call from the GP not long after my original post... the upshot is that I'm now clearly cured.

Only got a 66 this time. Woo-hoo! Where's the celebratory doughnuts?

So yeah, I guess I've the joys of 'some other bloke sticking his finger up my a**'' to look forward to.

(Which after not being able to pee, and the consequent tugging of the catheter on your John Thomas every time you move more than one-eighth inch, is delight indeed.) (Bring on them doughnuts again.)

It's a sound point about 'waiting is the toughest part of it' - that's something with which I can empathize, and those who're going through tough times have my genuine best wishes for 'life being as easy as it can be'.

Personally, I'm as mentioned... almost unbothered.

Never been a fan of nausea, so the thought of chemo troubles me a tad.

But everything else I'm ok with... the potential 'incontinence, inability to deliver-a-stiffy, etcetera'.

And yeah, even death. (Hell, I survived my 'Texan, redhead, lawyer' second wife. And my most recent, likely final - hell, I couldn't do that again 'twenty years younger than me' lady partner... still love her dearly, even though she eventually came to her senses and kicked-me-out.)

This of course sounds (and is) ludicrously flippant, and I'm really not trying to take-the mick or anything similar.

Seems an odd paradox... prostate cancer is a big killer, but has 15 year survival rates of 95%. Hell, the way I'm continuing to deteriorate at a relatively spritely 62, I can't imagine how decrepit I'd be at 77.

if I can't get wiped-out in a Donnie Darko-type airplane engine incident, I might have to consider 'Door #2 please, Monty' - the cancer - as a preferable alternative to 'rapidly closing in on 80'. Hell, what a thought.

If there is a serious point here, and amid the jesting and ribaldry (had to look that one up before being sure enough to use it) I've been desperately hoping such a point would arrive before I hit the 1000-word mark... it's twofold:

#1 My respect and thanks to the good people who organise and contribute to this service.

#2 Cheer-up chaps. 'It's only prostate cancer - there's a lot worse.' (Jeez, i don't know how bad that sounds, it's well-intended, supportive in a 'try to find the good among the bleak' way - love yourself and those close to you, because life can be very fragile and easily removed.)

#3 Whatever's happening to our insides, probaby the best way we can help ourselves is to learn more about the possibilities (good and bad), and to worry as little as we can.

So yeah... 66 rather than the previous 67.
I feel better already... dunno what all the fuss was about.

My hopes for swift recovery and ongoing good health to y'all.

:-)

Edited by member 24 May 2018 at 14:45  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 May 2018 at 17:07

Quick update... nothing serious, just a light-hearted point - the irony of which is just too good to not share.

I've recently launched a start-up business project... an online radio station.

When I loaded a website page there this morning, the music playing was... 'Knocking on heaven's door.' :-)

Edited by member 23 May 2018 at 17:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 May 2018 at 13:33

Ha Ha. As long as they don't open it we'll still be here.

User
Posted 24 May 2018 at 14:47

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Ha Ha. As long as they don't open it we'll still be here.

Is that a movie/other quote?