Show search

Notification

Error

Bazza Update.......

User
Posted 29 May 2018 at 12:09

Hello lovely people on this forum.

So, where do I start?

In April this year, my beautiful fiancé and I married in Gibraltar followed by a two day mini break in Seville which happened to coincide with the April Fair, orange blossom fragrance in the air and thousands of horses, so Jo had an amazing time being a horse loving person.

It has been ten months since I have been living in France. My house in the U.K. still hasn’t sold, my ex wife, once cordial, communicative, so loving and supportive now completely despises me (which is not surprising after what I did last July in ending our marriage for this magical last part of my journey.)

Life in rural France is tough which is kind of good in a way as previously, I was looked after, cosseted, encouraged even, to just give up and go with the flow. My peace of mind since my wobble around Christmas when I was doubting my sanity in giving up what I did has been incredible. The food is much healthier here, I’m lucky if three cars pass our house each day so rural is our home and there is zero pollution in the air. To be so in love and so loved is a treasure I never thought I would experience nor deserve again.

My beautiful new wife (girlfriend of old) is so loving and supportive but she encourages me to do much more for myself than my ex wife ever did. Thus I do not get too lazy or maudlin although I do have episodes of self pity. I actually do DIY, I shovel sand, I take tons of logs into the hanger and I tile bathrooms. I do not lay on my back eight hours a day watching mindless daytime TV!

On the health front, my last bone and CT scans were conducted in May 2017. It has been my choice not to have any carried out since, nor to know my PSA results every two months. However, last week, I did go back to Guys to have my regular Prostap injection and my CNS did tell me that remarkably, my PSA is broadly the same as it was this time last year and that my Testosterone levels are the lowest they’ve ever been!

That said, since Christmas, I have been having the most remarkably painful lower back. Now I have a thirty year history of slipped discs, degenerative disc disease and a dodgy L5 S1. Many times, pre diagnosis, I’ve been prostrate (not prostate) on the floor in agony as my spinal nerves and muscles have gone into spasm. 

Sadly, however, the concoction of painkillers and NSAIDs does not seem to be touching the pain when once they used to - so I am panicking. I also panic more when I realise that, without scans, I cannot know where I am so do not know if the lymph node metastasis I had last May has progressed to the bones. My hope is that it hasn’t, my fear and catastrophism declares that it has.

Then I get confused when I think, hang on, if my PSA is the same, surely if it had gone to the bones, would this not rise? Nor would there not be more red flags on my blood test results, which there aren’t, so I’m more hopeful than dreading having scans in the next couple of months which I think is the sensible option.

Whatever the outcome, I’ve declared that I will not have chemotherapy. In everyone I’ve known who has had it, there has been no significant downturn in the halt of the cancer. All it has done is cause severe side effects, reduce QOL even more and has been a source of regret that has not increased longevity. The studies back this up although there will always be one or two positive stories out there.

This August marks the 8th anniversary since my RALP where my original Gleason was 3+5 (Tertiary 4) with evidence of infiltration into one ejaculatory duct. Since then, I’ve had two periods of undetectable PSAs lasting 18 and 14 months respectively, salvage radiotherapy, three years of hormones one of which one was Enzalutamide and now, for the past year, 12 week doses given 8 weekly of Prostap.

One day, the injection will fail and my CNS has advised when it does, it usually means an average time to death of 16 to 18 months. Tragic when I have found my first love so late again in life and am enjoying my life to the full and enjoying being so in love.

During our wobbly emotional moments, it all gets a bit too much when we reflect upon the bitter sweet irony of this all - and what may come - but we have now, that’s all we ever own - and I am so grateful that we found each other again, though would have liked more time with her. We got on so well when we were 19 and 16. Now, at 56 and 52, we get on like soul mates.

So, in my estimation, I reckon I’ll be dead around May 2020. Don’t ask me how I come to that. The optimist in me hopes for five more good years, though with my back pain, the pessimist in me always wins. It always has - but I’m still here nine years after diagnosis and eight years after surgery, so I’m really not sure what the future holds. Answers/bets on a postcard.....

Edited by member 29 May 2018 at 14:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 May 2018 at 15:57
Congratulations on your marriage Bazza.

Enjoy whatever time you have to the full and try and be forgiving to the ex-wife

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 29 May 2018 at 16:07
Hi Bazza

Just thinking about you yesterday in fact. Congratulations and fair play for grabbing at life whilst you can , even at the cost of your ex’s happiness , and fair play even more for sharing it all. But I have to say although I’ve never met you I’ve always liked you. In fact I think we are kindred spirits. I’ve been going through lots of similar dilemmas too but taking the least-harm option each time. I feel it’s only a matter of time before my health fails and I move swiftly on to the next level. Not sure about further treatments myself and feel I’d reject Chemo for sure.

I hope you are happy and being in love is a great thing. Being happy in France with red wine galore is even better. Take care brother

User
Posted 29 May 2018 at 16:47

Thank you too brother

X

User
Posted 29 May 2018 at 17:57

Great to read your catch up  and congratulations on your marriage. You seem very happy in your new home which is great and are still very pragmatic about how things are progressing.

All the best to you both.

Kevan 

User
Posted 29 May 2018 at 19:03
You run me ragged sometimes :-(

Your back is probably hurting because you are using it rather than laying on it?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 May 2018 at 21:16

hi Bazza, like Chris, I have always followed you as someone who shares my love of life although we are very different about our knowledge of the timeline of possible future events. 

I am so glad you are happy, really Happy but the not knowing is the bit that got most of us on day 1 before many of us came to terms with living in the now.  So bring on the scan, worry or not about a fact rather than what might be as if that worry is for no reason then you have worried for nothing. If sadly The worry is reality then you were worried anyway but then can plan with a fact, but what do I know, we all deal with this differently.

on the subject of chemo, I know you say there will be one or two positive stories out there but without wishing to argue I think there are far more positive ones such as mine. I look back to chemo days and in hindsight much of the feeling sad/down/ill was actually me behaving how I though I should not how I was and when I grabbed positive times the bad just evaporated. I know you are not there now but please don’t dismiss it yet, hey try one dose and if you don’t like what it actually does in terms of QOL dont have the second? If it only did bad stuff then I don’t think it would be so widely used.

advice/lecture/whatever over, keep loving life, never give up, make the most of it, enjoy summer.

take care

kev 

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 29 May 2018 at 21:32

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
You run me ragged sometimes :-(

Your back is probably hurting because you are using it rather than laying on it?

And not just from moving the logs I suspect 😉

User
Posted 29 May 2018 at 21:40
You really are making the most of every moment of every day.

Excellent, I wish you well.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 05 Aug 2018 at 13:35

Severe lymph pain in kidney area. Been put on tramadol and ketoprofene. Now terrible bladder pain. Waterworks well. Please help with dealing wirh this pain

User
Posted 05 Aug 2018 at 15:06
Sorry you are having to deal with this Bazza

I hope somebody can advise you

(Lovely pic by the way)

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 06 Aug 2018 at 13:37
Hi Barry congratulations on your marriage and pleased you are enjoying life in France. The heat at the moment is relentless.

Re your bladder pain I’ve had two ops over the years to remove stones the size of golf balls in my bladder, it’s easy to have it checked out with an ultrasound scan, just takes a couple of minutes.

I had a PET scan end of 2017 which showed I had tumors in 3 lymph nodes along my spine I had these zapped with 5 days of RT. I’ve since had another PET scan in June 2018 this shows the 3 tumors have disappeared, but I now have a tumor in a lymph node in my neck. I’m waiting to see the radio therapist in 2 weeks to see if he can zap that one as successfully as the other 3. I switched from Appi to Enzo 6 weeks go and I’ve already seen a small drop in my PSA, the Appi wasn’t working.

Hope this is of some help

Stu

User
Posted 09 Aug 2018 at 10:14

I feel so effin alone. There is nothing like Macmillan in France. The onco is general not urological and although treatment is fast language makes things 100 times more difficult.

Just want to give up now and die. I cant come back to the UK. I made my bedhere and musr lie in it. The mattress however is one of thorns. Cant bear the prospect of a slow painful demise in the middle of nowhere where the nearest farm village is 30 miles away. 

Its karma for what I did to my beautiful family.

User
Posted 09 Aug 2018 at 15:25
Simply don’t know what to say Barry , other than I hope the very best for you I really do. The cancer changes everything and sometimes ones ability to think straight anymore. Nothing seems good enough , you can’t see what you have , I want more more more while I can. I’ve made some very stupid decisions and mistakes the last year but El and I are sticking at it. Don’t give up friend. You are Spartacus remember. If you need to come back to the UK then come back. I reckon your family would still be there for you.
User
Posted 09 Aug 2018 at 21:31
You have your ups and your downs, this is one of your downs. You can convince yourself that this is karma for what you did but I will remind you that you were all very unhappy anyway; France and your new relationship have for the most part given you a reason to not just stay alive but to actually live again.

You won’t die in a remote French hamlet. You are nowhere near that stage yet anyway, and if / when the disease progresses enough that you need to be near civilisation, you will move. Or you will come back to the UK and maybe make peace with at least some of the family.

You need to talk to your soul mate - I am sure she knows that you are hurting.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Aug 2018 at 10:12

Lyn

But I divorced her. She won't speak

Barry

PS can i pm you

User
Posted 10 Aug 2018 at 10:29
I meant your new wife, as you well know.

Email me instead - do you still have the address?

User
Posted 10 Aug 2018 at 10:46

Ive pmd you already x