I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Best option for Incontinence treatment - Sling or Artificial sphincter????

User
Posted 29 May 2018 at 14:54

Meeting a Urologist tomorrow to opt for incontinence treatment ie. sling or valve!!  Cannot decide which will be best for me?

18 monthe since Prostatectomy and still with the disease and incontinent, hence a tad "p****d off".

User
Posted 29 May 2018 at 18:09
Hello williefergie and welcome to the site

We do have a few people on here with the information which may be helpful to you and hopefully one of them will be along to give you their take on it

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 29 May 2018 at 21:00

Willie

Tony PW had the sling fitted before the AUS, search for "AUS" his first post does give some details of the declining effectiveness of the sling. Of course things move on in the medical field.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 29 May 2018 at 21:17
The issue with the sling is that it is not adjustable once installed (or at least, mine wasn't) so depends on the tension being set correctly Also it is aimed at light to medium incontinence - I thought mine was, but obviously not.... However, I can't help you to decide which is best, that is between you and your consultant!!
Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 03 Jan 2020 at 17:44
I had a sling fitted last year and it is adjustable. It's called ATOMS and there is a small reservoir in the scrotum which is adjusted by water injections until you are "dry".