Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Decapeptyl injections

User
Posted 30 May 2018 at 15:19

Hi all,

Just looking for some reassurance. I know everyone responds differently to the hormone treatment but I'd just like to know how successful the injections have been for some of you?

Dad was to have early chemo once diagnosed but only had 2 rounds due to low white cell count each time. I'm aware hormone treatment is the main thing but it worries me that he hasn't been seen the past 2 months and has another month 2 go before we see a consultant again.

His psa was 260 on diagnosis and decreased to 20 and then 13. Once the psa has went down how long have people had before it's started to rise again? As I said I know everyone is different but I'd like to hear your stories of hope. 

Thanks 

Miffy
User
Posted 30 May 2018 at 17:27
Jiffy, there is no answer to your question. Nobody knows how an individual will react. We have had much bigger drops that you are hoping for. HT has a cumulative effect and in just a month, after another blood test you will probably see another drop. I imagine another three months gap will follow before the consultant judges whether any change is needed. The PSA may continue to drop thereafter. Sorry, you'll just have to be patient!

AC

User
Posted 30 May 2018 at 21:54

AC is right, the response can be so different from one person to another.

For what its worth, I can tell you my experience with Decapeptyl has been disappointing. But that may not be the case for your dad. I had been on Degarelix since my diagnosis in 2015, but I did suffer bad reactions to it. It worked for about 15 months, but then it had to be supplemented with Abiraterone. The combination worked for about 10 months and then my PSA started rising again. I started Docetaxel chemotherapy in October 17, but the combination between the Docetaxel and the Degarelix was just too much and so the onco changed the Degarelix to Decapeptyl in December. But my PSA continues to rise, doubling between Feb and May.

I am sure your dad's onco knows what he/she is doing and will have made an informed judgement in setting the frequency of his appointments. But I hope everything works out ok for you.

Best wishes

Peter