I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Cystoscope for biopsy

User
Posted 05 Jun 2018 at 09:14

just had a visit to urologist for camera investigations. He had problems looking at prostate. After carrying out DRE he confirmed it is enlarged and possibly cancer. 

Will know more after biopsy and MRI.

he was very concerned about PSA level of 439 as it’s very high. 

Waiting for biopsy appointment, should be within couple of weeks. 

Nervous about what is ahead. 

User
Posted 05 Jun 2018 at 09:43
Okay - with a PSA of 439 you are best to assume it is cancer and download the toolkit from this website (or call the number at the top of the page and order a hard copy) - it will help you to understand what's happening and formulate any questions for your subsequent appointments. Did s/he explain that the number is so high that there is a risk this is not in its early stages - and that you will probably need a bone scan as well just in case? They may suggest that you start hormone treatment quite soon after your tests.

Are your toenails particularly memorable / remarkable?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Jun 2018 at 10:52
I doubt very much it will be a cystoscopy doing the biopsy. That is a camera device inserted into your penis all the way up to the bladder. A normal biopsy is using an ultrasound device inserted into your anus. Needles can be passed through and samples taken through the rectal wall into the prostate. It’s called a TRUS. It’s not as bad as it sounds but not pleasant either. Good luck
User
Posted 05 Jun 2018 at 12:17

Thank you for responding. 

Yes he has suggested a bone scan, biopsy and MRI. Just waiting for appointmen. 

With regard to to my Toenails that’s subjective, obviously I am biased 😁.

User
Posted 05 Jun 2018 at 18:00

Ok I have been looking at other posts on this forum and have found it to be full of useful information. 

However there are a couple of points I would like verifying. 

I have seen that an mpMRI is a better option MRI. What is the difference/can I request. 

Also a template biopsy seems to be more popular route with a general anaesthetic. 

User
Posted 05 Jun 2018 at 18:44
Both would be better options in some circumstances, such as with a slightly raised PSA suggesting a small tumour that could be missed. However, in your case it is rather academic and so it would seem odd to subject you to an unnecessary general anaesthetic.

Why not wait to see which order the hospital appointments are offered to you. If they give you an MRI or mpMRI first and the results are equivocal, a normal biopsy is fine. I don't think it will apply in your case but sometimes the results of the MRI and bone scan are so clear that they don't bother doing a biopsy at all - no point in subjecting the patient to additional risk.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Jun 2018 at 07:22

Ok I really appreciate all your replies. 

I am having an mri done today, because of a cancellation. So hopefully will get some more clarification soon. 

I have also been given an appointment on 18th this month at nuclear radiology so things appear to be happening.