I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad’s chemo

User
Posted 07 Jun 2018 at 19:40

Dad has now completed 5 of 10 chemo sessions (number 6 tomorrow - fingers crossed). We saw the oncologist yesterday and he was very kind and pleased with how Dad is tolerating the chemo. He thinks the PSA may plateau now (its never been super low). We have come to terms with the fact that this will not ‘cure’ but hopefully prolong life (after such a dire prognosis each day is precious). The worst symptoms (apart from aches and pains) are the fatigue and loss of taste. But he is managing these best he can. If Dad manages the 6 sessions tomorrow the oncologist said we’ll then aim for 8 then aim for 10. No scan is planned. I want to know absolutel everything but have to respect that Dad does not. I did tent ask the oncologist what ‘might’ happen after chemo and he said there would be a little resting period to let the body recover from chemo but then the other drugs may be considered (I assume Abi or Enzo)? It’s certainly been an incredibly stressful couple of months but I’ve had wonderful support and thank you to those of you who have sent private messages. PenP.

User
Posted 07 Jun 2018 at 19:40

Dad has now completed 5 of 10 chemo sessions (number 6 tomorrow - fingers crossed). We saw the oncologist yesterday and he was very kind and pleased with how Dad is tolerating the chemo. He thinks the PSA may plateau now (its never been super low). We have come to terms with the fact that this will not ‘cure’ but hopefully prolong life (after such a dire prognosis each day is precious). The worst symptoms (apart from aches and pains) are the fatigue and loss of taste. But he is managing these best he can. If Dad manages the 6 sessions tomorrow the oncologist said we’ll then aim for 8 then aim for 10. No scan is planned. I want to know absolutel everything but have to respect that Dad does not. I did tent ask the oncologist what ‘might’ happen after chemo and he said there would be a little resting period to let the body recover from chemo but then the other drugs may be considered (I assume Abi or Enzo)? It’s certainly been an incredibly stressful couple of months but I’ve had wonderful support and thank you to those of you who have sent private messages. PenP.

User
Posted 08 Jun 2018 at 08:46
Glad dad is managing to tolerate the chemo.

It's a bugger isn't it.

Our grandson became addicted to full fat? cola as it was the only thing that cut through the taste. (Rotted his teeth mind you!)

Good luck to dd for the rest of the treatment

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Jun 2018 at 08:46
Glad dad is managing to tolerate the chemo.

It's a bugger isn't it.

Our grandson became addicted to full fat? cola as it was the only thing that cut through the taste. (Rotted his teeth mind you!)

Good luck to dd for the rest of the treatment

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 13 Jun 2018 at 21:56

HI Penp,

My dad has recently been diagnosed and has been offered chemotherapy starting in July through to December time. How is your dad finding it? I am a bit apprehensive regarding all the side affects and worried about how much it will impact him. I know it’ll be worth it to shrink the cancer and bring his PSA level down. He has already had one intense lot of radiotherapy on his back at this point. 

Good to hear your dad is getting on so well. Can I ask if his cancer is just in the prostrate or spread outside? 

reagrds,

Loo loo

User
Posted 14 Jun 2018 at 23:04

Hi Loo Loo unfortunately it has spread out of the prostate and there is bone involvement too. He is tolerating the chemo reasonably ok so far (touch wood). Loss of some hair, loss of taste, fatigue and generally feeling quite rubbish especially the first week after chemo. He is however still managing a walk each day. He is hoping to complete 10 sessions of chemo (4 to go). From what I have seen I would certainly never discourage anyone from having/trying it (despite my initial anxieties). Dad has good support and we all rally to help him through it. Good luck to your Dad x